Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Morbid Obesity is now fashionable apparently

There's been a follow-up article on Huffpost that is similarly badly written, that I won't be arsed to link. This time it's about a growing list of doctors in America you can check, that will help you find a physician who won't "fat shame you." It specifically says something to the effect of "I don't want to lose weight, I want to be fat and healthy."

Why can people not understand that just because you currently, at this very moment, have good blood pressure, good cholesterol and no diabetes, does not mean you won't get it like, TOMORROW potentially?

"My car is running fine with 2 quarts of oil in it right this moment, so I'm gonna leave it just like this. It'll never be a problem!"

It's exhausting trying not to get really worked up and angry about this.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    There's been a follow-up article on Huffpost that is similarly badly written, that I won't be arsed to link. This time it's about a growing list of doctors in America you can check, that will help you find a physician who won't "fat shame you." It specifically says something to the effect of "I don't want to lose weight, I want to be fat and healthy."

Why can people not understand that just because you currently, at this very moment, have good blood pressure, good cholesterol and no diabetes, does not mean you won't get it like, TOMORROW potentially?

"My car is running fine with 2 quarts of oil in it right this moment, so I'm gonna leave it just like this. It'll never be a problem!"

It's exhausting trying not to get really worked up and angry about this.
    Try dealing with it on a daily basis as people's bodies are failing.

THAT, is why I prefer pediatrics.

Because fat kids are still young enough to be impressionable and thus able to be shamed effectively?

Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    What ism is this?

Greece bans 'overweight' tourists from riding donkeys
    https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...ntl/index.html
    I went to a book signing with "Longmire" author Craig Johnson a month or so ago. He's tall and big, like a former American football player, perhaps. He amused the audience with tales of getting down to 195 pounds (fully dressed including boots and gear) in order to ride a mule during a trip to the Grand Canyon with his wife. He said customers had to step on a scale before mounting up.

It makes sense to me. Can't have customers crushing the livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Because fat kids are still young enough to be impressionable and thus able to be shamed effectively?

Anyway, I think the main issue is that some folks still assume that there's no way fat people can be healthy... and all thin people must be healthy...

It's like sometimes there are squeaky clean looking cars that are poorly maintained and there can be very well maintained cars that don't have very good exterior conditions...

To determine how healthy a person is, lift up the hood and check the dip stick... don't just judge by the outside appearance.

Yes, I think it's safe to assume a a LOT of obese people are probably not in their healthiest conditions, but still, from a psychological point of view, shaming often does not work well.

I don't think I'm overly obese, pretty thin for most of my life..., I'm pretty sure I'm not that healthy either. Currently taking blood pressure meds. My main issue if probably lack of exercise..., trying to increase that a bit more.

Anyway, my point is that I've been blessed with perhaps the right set of thin genes or sufficient fat eating gut bacteria or whatever that helped my lazy ass to stay relatively thin... so I'm able to enjoy economy seats comfortably without anybody fat shaming me.

I'm sure there's a fat dude out there somewhere who has a lifestyle and health condition that's similar to mine, yet getting way more fat shaming than me, even from doctors...

Humanity's overall weight gain is definitely a problem... and I think it's obvious that shaming and whatever other solutions we've implemented thus far are not working. Need better solutions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for fat-pride. I'm pretty sure even fat people are not so prideful of their weightiness. Just don't believe shaming is the right tactic. If you shaming yourself worked for you, great. If your shaming tactic can work for others you know... great..., but know that those are exceptions, rather than the rule. Shaming often backfires.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 11th, 2018 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I went to a book signing with "Longmire" author Craig Johnson a month or so ago. He's tall and big, like a former American football player, perhaps. He amused the audience with tales of getting down to 195 pounds (fully dressed including boots and gear) in order to ride a mule during a trip to the Grand Canyon with his wife. He said customers had to step on a scale before mounting up.

It makes sense to me. Can't have customers crushing the livestock.
    I dont have a problem with weight limits, especially for safety (of the client or the donkey!)
    I did a tandem parachute jump AFTER Id lost 80lbs and was about 20lbs from their limit.

And its not like its some critical thing or something we assume most people should be able to do.

Okay, found an article explaining why shaming is not the most ideal way to change people:
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ng-doesnt-work

Ideally, we should have more positive reinforcements. Such as if you managed to lose X number of pounds, you get to have this sweet delicious donut!!!

Junior Potato
    I don’t think anyone here has been advocating fat shaming.

Nothing of the sort. The biggest problem is people thinking that discussing a problem, pointing out its SEVERE affects on society, and offering solutions is "shaming."