Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Morbid Obesity is now fashionable apparently

What would be the point of having an *average* looking girl on the cover of a glamorous magazine? Who's gonna care? Who's even going to look at the cover? What would be the point of being so average and unoffensive for them? Would that really sell more magazines?

Understand that mag editors just want something to catch people's attention or to generate buzz.

I seriously doubt all the girls would all of a sudden want to be fat and cover themselves with tattoos because of this particular cover.

Perhaps we only need to worry if someday we end up having bunch of fat-pride parades or something like that. IMHO, it's perfectly okay to be fat and be confident of yourself. If you just have the fat genes or perhaps certain medical conditions make you fatter than average population, so be it. However, if you know you are over-eating and lazy and not looking after yourself, there's really nothing to be proud of by being lazy and careless like that.

Now, with that said, we really don't need to be that judgmental about other people's weight. Just make sure we ourselves are within healthy ranges and don't end up becoming a weight extremist... not too thin and not too fat! I know I'll never become a glamorous girl and end up on the cover of that magazine so I'm not going bother...

Junior Potato
    The biggest reason they put a fat person on the cover is to draw attention to themselves.

It’s a marketing ploy by Cosmo.

Next!

Generally speaking, I don't think we should glamorize people at *generally* unhealthy weights. So yeah, stick thin, or obese, probably shouldn't be propped up as a beauty ideal. I say that as someone who used to be absolutely harassed for my weight. I wasn't unhealthy, but most people shouldn't be at that weight. Same thing with obesity.

At the same time, I do wish there was more acceptance of each other's shapes in day to day life. We're all walking fleshbags of imperfection, and it's rude to comment on someone's weight or appearance without being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    ... I have a problem with the idea that ironically, because she has a pretty face she can be on the cover...which seems to be simultaneously judging and not judging based on looks.
    When people complain about the body image thing I always say there should also be more ugly people on magazine covers

I do think it’s good for people to be happy with themselves, no matter their weight, body shape or other physical conditions.
    Sure it’s not great to be obese, but better to be obese and happy with yourself that at a better weight and mentally struggling. Those people are likely to fall back to obese and then be even worse mentally.

From a health point of view it’s probably more important to be active. Being obese is easy to detect and does have a very strong correlation to not being active. But inactive people tend to be ones with health issues. Plus they do miss out on a lot of fun activities or struggle with things that most others do easily. This is easier for younger people, but if they are obese for most of their life they will probably hit inactivity and it’s health and social reprocussions much earlier than most.

Sure fit and fat is a small percentage. And it’s hard to convey that in a photo unless you pick a professional athlete (weightlifter, American footballer, sumo etc)

So I’m ok with this photo... the tag line seems to imply that she is ok with her size and doesn’t care about haters. I think that’s a good message to send.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Personally i don't like seeing overweight/obese people seemingly struggling to walk around town/climb stairs etc etc. They may be happy with their weight, and good on them, but i mainly worry about their health. I, for some reason, feel sorry for a LOT of people i see. Homeless, homeless/poor looking, overweight, underweight, crooked back, elderly etc etc.

I wish i could somehow help them, but i know i likely won't be able to, so i just have to try forget it and carry on.

I'm not overweight myself, about 80kg (176 pounds), but my Dad, step mum, half sister, sister and one of my brothers are probably all on the side of 'too much' weight (not obese?). They are all conscious of it, and all want to be a bit thinner/healthier, but when money is tight, time is tight, motivation is low, depression is controlling and so on, it makes it hard for them to be where they want to be. They are mostly happy from what i can see, but yeah.

I don't think telling people it's perfectly fine to be too big or too thin is the right thing to do. Some people may be healthier than others at the same weight, and for some people that sort of weight etc could kill them.

I have mixed feeling about this.

My mother has fought with obesity for as long as I can remember. She has hated who she is because of her size. Literally to the point we have had dinner and partway through she looked down like she felt guilty about eating. I thought she was going to cry.

On the other hand, I refuse to date anyone who is obese. This is because I have seen her struggles, and I don't want someone I care for to deal with that also. The flip side is the massive amounts of cardiac, type 2 diabetes, thyroid issues, etc, which obesity can bring.

I don't want that shit in my bloddline.

I saw this cover a few days ago and all I could think was there sure is plenty of her ass for her haters to kiss. Pretty sure no spot would get doubled up on. She's 5'5" and 208 pounds. Her BMI according to googles version is 46.6. Obesity starts at 30.

Sorry, she's not someone that should be made famous or looked up to because of her weight and that she's comfortable with it. There's been more than a few of the morbidly obese 'healthy at any size' people who have died pretty young due to their obesity. Seems to be mostly heart attacks.

FYI, try a gluten free diet. It helped me lose some weight. From 175 down to 168 lbs in couple of weeks. Interestingly having a bit of pasta or bread will bring the weight right back!

Proof that amount of food you eat doesn’t directly correlate to your weight. What you eat and how your body reacts may yield surprising results!

Junior Potato
    It’s not the gluten helping you; it just coincides with the removal of wheat from your diet.

That’s why the gluten free thing has exploded in popularity in recent years.