Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Morbid Obesity is now fashionable apparently

Oh, ok. Anyway, I wouldn't go as far as saying our societies 'encourages' gluttony and sloth, it's just naturally that way. Just as gravity pulls us naturally down, it doesn't 'encourage' us to fall down! But same difference I suppose. If somebody wish to believe Satan is tempting them, what's important is that he needs to learn to resist temptations. Fighting gravity to stand your fat ass back up takes a lot of work. Each of us is responsible for ourselves..., it's our choice to live our lives lying down or standing up.

I want to still stress the point that those who are standing up, try not to look down on those lying down. Shaming is useless. Find ways to help them, but not in ways that'll enable them.

I suppose the difference is uuuh.... "passively" shaming or not? I would never condone shaming someone. I have no doubt that shaming help convince ME to lose weight, but other people take it different ways.

But at the same time, if society as a whole holds a belief that obesity is unhealthy and dangerous, and we should do what we can to fix it, is that really shaming?

Do you really believe there are people who still believe being fat is attractive and healthy? I don’t know, maybe there are still delusional people like that just as there are still people who believe in flat earth. Anyway, at least bible doesn’t mention fat is good.. so people can’t hide behind bible for being fat, they can perhaps blame Satan for tempting them...

Anyway, I think all it takes is people taking up personal responsibility for self. I suppose we could allow Shame to motivate ourselves, but we need to focus that shame on the fat, don’t hate yourself for being fat.

We can help each other to keep trying and don’t give up. Excessive shaming will probably only cause us to want to just fucking give up or just kill ourselves...

We all know what to do, just need to help one another commit to do the right things on a longterm basis...

It's a feeling.

Where welfare goes.
    To basic stuff sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    To basic stuff sellers.
    Okay, can you rephrase that sentence? I don't understand what you're trying to say...

"Shaming" has been given many negative connotations by a lot of quarters. But how and whether it works depends on context.

"You need to lose weight because you look like shit compared to XYZ" is different from "I feel ashamed that I can't even muster the energy to play with my kids for more than a few minutes." I myself started seriously working out more along in line with the latter, rather than the former, form of shaming.

Junior Potato
    Depends on how undignified it is, as per Tigersid’s note that it works for some people and not others.

It's always private vs. public.
    Totally different and always connected.

What oblications a municipality has.
    Many but none is natural.
    If it runs out of money the land is still there.

On the other hand, if company runs out of money it ends.
    So money is natural for businesses.

Having a non junk food society then.
    Its basics is a cost of a citizen.
    If cost is low support is also low, it can be high but then where's the money.
    USA uses the model of lock up or dont care, very cost efficient if there is a surplus of people.
    Lefties try to care but are stomped by cheaper options from outside.

So to make a business interested in people instead of their money must be a law.
    To have that kind of a law means that the population is educated to make one.
    It also means that the basic level changes to being good from not being bad.

Acting law then.
    If collective is for good by law can individual be not good.
    Is it then criminal to be bad to you, a costly citizen self.

It takes effort NOT to shout at every obese person about how to fix the problem too, let me tell you. I try hard every day NOT to be the "fit guy who projects onto fat people" or whatever. Because you wanna know the deep down secret truth? Losing weight is not difficult. At all. It's literally math. Do some basic exercise, go for a walk, eat way less than usual, lose weight. That's all. The DIFFICULTY comes in changing your lifestyle to continue eating healthy long-term, instead of dieting. But even if you DO lose a bunch of weight, and gain some back, you're STILL better off than you were staying obese. Any day where you're improving your health is IMPROVING YOUR HEALTH.

But I don't do it. I don't say a fucking thing to anyone unless they ask me first. And I find it's getting easier and easier to do it, because the vast majority of people who ask me "so how'd you do it?" or "what can I do?".... And then when I answer them, their response is to trail off and mumble about nothing (because they don't want to change how they live), OR respond by saying "oh, well I do this (thing that won't actually help you or solve the problem)" and won't hear any alternative suggestions. You have to really WANT to change, to hear the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    And I find it's getting easier and easier to do it, because the vast majority of people who ask me "so how'd you do it?" or "what can I do?".... And then when I answer them, their response is to trail off and mumble about nothing (because they don't want to change how they live), OR respond by saying "oh, well I do this (thing that won't actually help you or solve the problem)" and won't hear any alternative suggestions. You have to really WANT to change, to hear the truth.
    Yup. Usually one or more of "BUT I HEAR THAT WHOLEWHEAT BREAD IS HEALTHY", "WHAT ABOUT A QUINOA/VEGAN DIET", "But I CAN'T GIVE UP CARBS!!! You need GLUCOSE FOR YOUR BRAIN!!!" I guess you might hear more "But soda tastes SOOO GOOOOOOD!" whereas in my part of the world it would be more "But I can't give up BEER!!!"