Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap(ish) camera for Son?

Cheap(ish) camera for Son?

So my Son has been doing some photography courses and has been borrowing a camera from them or using his phone but I'm coming into a bit of money soon (thanks Comcast! ) so I thought about getting him a second hand 'proper' camera. I know there's a bit of tribalism going but local gumtree has a few interesting options:

Nikon D60 + lens £150.
    Canon EOS 20D Tamron 70-300 zoom lens £85 but some marking on the lens.

Anything else I should be looking at? Ideally this side of £200 unless it's something truly amazing then might go to £250 or thereabouts. He might go off it in 6 months but I'm sure I'd likely get my money back as cameras this old have likely bottomed out.

Junior Potato
    Mate that Canon looks the business. If the lens is marked I wouldn’t worry. A few scratches are not likely to show up in any images.

If you’re picking between Canon or Nikon, I’d think the biggest consideration is what brand of lenses you already have at hand.

Lenses at hand? That would be none.

You can see the marks on the lens in the last photo.

Junior Potato
    Yeah those marks aren’t worth worrying about. Say the lens is fully zoomed in, the image will use only about 2% of the surface area. If you’re serious, you could probably get it cleaned.

I’d say buy it, then buy a cheap-as-chips 2nd-hand 50mm lens to compliment the zoomy one, and set the boy loose.

Been using a 30D for 12 years, only real difference is it has a bigger LCD on the back, and it's still going strong. A raw file is only 8mb so it won't fill up a hard drive/CF card very fast and any computer will be strong enough to process a raw file.

Download Canon's DPP for a free & basic program for processing raw files. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...B0AMD0F1Q42K25

The Canon is missing eye relief guard, not a big deal if you don't wear glasses. https://www.ebay.com/itm/EB-Rubber-E...-/320588421442

The 70-300 is useless for any wide angle pictures (indoor, landscape and etc) so if your son takes to photography be on the look out for a 24mm (or less) something or other.
    Last edited by XHawkeye; September 25th, 2018 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XHawkeye View Post
    Been using a 30D for 12 years, only real difference is it has a bigger LCD on the back, and it's still going strong. A raw file is only 8mb so it won't fill up a hard drive/CF card very fast and any computer will be strong enough to process a raw file.

Download Canon's DPP for a free & basic program for processing raw files. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...B0AMD0F1Q42K25

The Canon is missing eye relief guard, not a big deal if you don't wear glasses. https://www.ebay.com/itm/EB-Rubber-E...-/320588421442

The 70-300 is useless for any wide angle pictures (indoor, landscape and etc) so if your son takes to photography be on the look out for a 24mm (or less) something or other.
    Something like this?
    Last edited by Alan P; September 25th, 2018 at 04:18 PM.

Dammit, if I were in n the UK I'd probably just give you my 20D.

The 18-55 is fine to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Dammit, if I were in n the UK I'd probably just give you my 20D.

The 18-55 is fine to start with.
    If you can package it I'm happy to pay postage?

It's probably not worth it, and I need to dig up the old batteries, grip, the dual charger, etc. You're probably looking at gbp50 to post!

What I'd suggest is that when my wife goes to the UK later this year she can take all of it with her and post it to you. It shouldn't cost too much and you can use it as a second body or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    It's probably not worth it, and I need to dig up the old batteries, grip, the dual charger, etc. You're probably looking at gbp50 to post!

What I'd suggest is that when my wife goes to the UK later this year she can take all of it with her and post it to you. It shouldn't cost too much and you can use it as a second body or something.
    So it's not complete? Or there are bits missing? If it's going to cost £50 then I wouldn't pout you out that much. Thanks for the generous offer though!