Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do all cheap mice suck these days?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Do all cheap mice suck these days?

Seems like I've had a lot of bad luck unless I pay like $50 or more for a mouse.

Over the past couple of years on various computers I've tried to use cheaper mice and there's always some major problem, either the mouse buttons don't click right, the tracking laser sucks, or the build quality is just really bad and they don't last any time.

I've tried different brands, no help.

So I'm buying another logitech MX Master for $70

I think the answer must be "Yes". A mouse is also one of the three ways you physically interact with a computer, so I wouldn't skimp on it.

Junior Potato
    The other two being via keyboard and hammer.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    The other two being via keyboard and hammer.

Anyone have a favorite optical mouse with a cord to recommend? (That rules out the Logitech MX Master mentioned above)

I was sent a new laptop for my job since my last one (that worked fine and had lots of USB ports and TWO docking stations - one at home and one at work - was deemed "too old" by the IT guys.

The new one has only one (1!) USB port, one USB-C port, and one headphone speaker jack. That might be enough for people on the go but not for this desk jockey. Docking stations have been backordered since January, so I'm making do with a 7-place USB hub to plug in mouse, keyboard, telephone headset, ethernet-to-USB adapter, and sometimes other stuff such as an mp3 player and my phone.

I've found that wireless mice (I tried three; two at home and one at work) lag often, to the point where I've dragged emails into the wrong folders in Outlook because it will "release" without warning while I'm "holding and dragging", as just one symptom. Another is clicking ON a cell in Excel only to have Excel think I double-clicked, so now I'm IN the cell, when I'm trying to select several cells at once. This leads to some crazy formula over-writing what was in the cell I wanted to select without entering to edit.

Corded mice don't lag through the USB hub, but the only ones I have at home are cheapies that came from jobs or PC purchases and so forth. They all feel flimsy, and I'm an all-day mouse user (some days) who would like something that's large, ambidextrous, and feels solid in the hand.

I was looking at Microcenter's website and saw that "lightweight!" seems to be a selling point for most mice, but I'd like one that has some heft to it, if anyone has one to recommend. Thanks.
    Last edited by George; April 20th, 2022 at 11:14 AM.

If you need to go cheap and cabled... Logitech g203.

Junior Potato
    ^ I agree with this recommendation.

I use a Logitech mouse (albeit a wireless one) and they have plenty of size to accommodate the loving caress of generously proportioned man-hands.

Corded? Ew...

I have cordless for work and home, and never have lag problems like that. I don't play H4rDc0r3!!1!! games. But it's fine for general use and single player games.

Administrator
    One benefit to the Logitech gear is that they have that unifying receiver, so you can have one USB port taken up handling multiple peripherals. It's what I use with my Windows desktop.

I'm assuming this isn't a Mac. I've had terrible lag issues with wireless devices on Macs that aren't their own official ones.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    One benefit to the Logitech gear is that they have that unifying receiver, so you can have one USB port taken up handling multiple peripherals.
    Only on some of their products. I have a G-series KB and mouse which I purchased separately and they both require their own receivers unfortunately. Best to double check that when shopping.