Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do all cheap mice suck these days?

I use this

Cooler Master MM720 Black Matte Lightweight Gaming Mouse with Ultraweave Cable, 16000 DPI Optical Sensor, RGB and Unique Claw Grip Shape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K2NMXTZ...RZ9QR63SFEYF0G

Always had good luck with Coolermaster stuff. Still using a 10yr old version of this on my work computer.

I don’t do wireless either

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    Corded? Ew...

I have cordless for work and home, and never have lag problems like that. I don't play H4rDc0r3!!1!! games. But it's fine for general use and single player games.
    Actually that does not matter anymore: all the pro players are playing with wireless mice.
    Some people prefer wired mice and there's nothing wrong with that, but the myth of wired mouse being better in hardcore games has been debunked and it is kind a thing of the past.

Junior Potato
    You'd only know the difference if you were in the top 100 players of any esports game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    You'd only know the difference if you were in the top 100 players of any esports game too.
    Well, since they almost all switched to wireless mice, the point is moot

My corded Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 has worked reliably for the 2.5 years I have owned it. It came with the computer when I bought it. :shrug:

I guess a mouse isn't something I need to ask advice about, but was just wondering if there is a "gold standard" mouse, such as the old IBM Selectric typewriters, for example - heavy, expensive, and never needs replacing. I'm in the office today and just went digging through the back room where there are all kinds of cables, old keyboards, and that sort of thing. I found several used wireless mice ranging in cleanliness from like new to "eww, gross!" Most of them were missing their USB "stubs", too. There wasn't a single corded mouse. I'll swing by Microcenter later and see if I can find a good one without bells and whistles and flashing lights and all that jazz.

FWIW, I saw an article somewhere online a while back that said some office workers use gaming mice to give one-button control to things like copying and pasting, running macros, or whatever else can be automated like that. I'd consider that if I didn't have to download software to take advantage of the extra features, since I can't even install a browser ad blocker without IT entering an administrator password.

I can imagine that phone conversation:

"That's right. It's a gaming mouse."

"No, I want it for Excel."

"Yes, I'm serious!"

"Hello? Hello?"
    Last edited by George; April 21st, 2022 at 09:05 AM.

Administrator
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a gold standard, but I've been using this mouse (or a previous model that's almost exactly like it) for a good decade now, I've been quite happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M705...dp_ob_title_ce

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    FWIW, I saw an article somewhere online a while back that said some office workers use gaming mice to give one-button control to things like copying and pasting, running macros, or whatever else can be automated like that. I'd consider that if I didn't have to download software to take advantage of the extra features, since I can't even install a browser ad blocker without IT entering an administrator password.
    Logitech gaming mice have on-board memory, meaning that they will store their button/color/macro configurations regardless of the machine it is being used on.

The kiddo configs his on win10 and then plays Minecraft in Debian, which can't run the config app.

One of the best features of gaming mice, and i can't believe it wasn't widely available a decade before, is mouse weights. Some mice allow you add ballast so that the thing feels as light or heavy as you wish.
    acket.

^ Interesting. I actually have a Logitech gaming mouse somewhere at home that I bought several years ago for a free first-person shooter called Contract Wars. I ended up getting banned from that game for cheating, even though I had no idea how to cheat and pretty much stunk at the game anyway. I found an ambush spot in one of the maps and kept killing people as they turned a corner and I guess one of my victims was an administrator who decided to take revenge. Cheap kills? Definitely. Cheating? No.

I remember assigning the small extra buttons to switch weapons or something, but I had to download Logitech software to my Windows PC to be able to assign the buttons. I think I stopped using it because it always had a light on, even when the computer was idle, and I figured it was using unnecessary electricity. I'll have to dig it out of my box of miscellaneous PC parts at home and re-acquaint myself with it.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I purchased this one for work (because the MX Master is cool but I'm not spending that much after buying a Viper Ultimate)

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Tria...dp_ob_title_ce

I have the older version, but it's the same thing apparently. It is wireless, but works great over bluetooth and has 3 inputs to save. It also has a neat squeeze mechanic that initiates an alt+tab feature.