Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "California is Burning" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Speaking of inmate firefighters, just found out about this fun thing.

As an inmate, Jeffrey Choate fought wildfires. Now that he's served his sentence, he can't become a firefighter because of his criminal record.

(I'd link to the article, but turns out it's behind a paywall)
    Yeah, I'm given to understand that's normal and they often recruit the inmates by saying "Hey, if you do this then when you get out, you can get a great firefighter job with a pension!"
    A few years ago I read an article about how a group of female former inmates were suing one of the western states DOC because they were flat out lied to and guaranteed work after their releases.
    -Formerly Stabulator

That's not only enraging, it's just straight up stupid. You've got people with training and experience that you're not willing to hire. FFS.

If fire fighters are willing to let CA burn rather than hiring more help, surly they have their good reasons?

If not, then yeah, we’ll just keep burning then...

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's not only enraging, it's just straight up stupid. You've got people with training and experience that you're not willing to hire. FFS.
    I guess prisoner rehabilitation programs are not up to speed with the requirement for fire departments to hire good people based on thorough background checks, among other things.

Oh well put it in the too hard basket America doesn’t have time for that it’s a job for good countries like… *checks notes* …oh wait nobody rehabilitates prisoners properly lets forget about it.

(Society in a nutshell)

Entire West Coast is burning... Wow... Southern California isn't quite as bad as northern California, but we've been raining ashes for days... and today is particularly bad with intense smokey smells...

At least this will help persuade the anti-maskers to protect themselves? Or maybe not, perhaps they'll enjoy the smoke.

Ask me about my bottom br
    Is the "green dream or whatever" still something not worth paying for?
    acket.

Green dream? It is now the orange/brown nightmare! I guess it's our turn to go thru what Australia went thru earlier this year...

Ask me about my bottom br
    Pelosi's words, not mine.
    acket.

Politics are weird. Part of the problem has been lack of forest management, in other words not cutting down trees. Many are dying/dead and densely packed, adding literal fuel to the fire. Is that policy green or not green?

Junior Potato
    Yeah good forestry management is critical in reducing wildfire risk. It needs to be properly funded and based on good science.

But sadly good science means responding to and allowing for continued change in climate (hotter, dryer conditions every year).

It's better to drastically reduce the output of greenhouse gases and have a properly funded forestry department.