Page 114 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1163

Thread: Formula One 2019

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The tires are not temperamental, they are designed to last shorter distances, but the strategist have figured that they can run a faster race by eeking out a few extra laps of life by nursing the tires instead of running the OEM distance and doing one extra pitstop.

It's all the FIA's fault really, with what they asked the supplier and the ruleset they produced; i.e. competitors are going to compete.
    acket.

Yeah, like I said, I’m no expert on these tires and don’t even have a firm grasp of undercuts. I also don’t know exactly what are Ferrari’s problems with the tires... , but it’s quite clear these latest tires(rules) are not enhancing this sport.

One simple fix might be to limit # of pit crew..., make pit stops longer so to make it something that you have to do... rather making it part of the strategy to actually go faster. This is just very counterintuitive and confusing. You go faster by stopping!?!?! That’s just not right!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    One simple fix might be to limit # of pit crew..., make pit stops longer so to make it something that you have to do... rather making it part of the strategy to actually go faster. This is just very counterintuitive and confusing. You go faster by stopping!?!?! That’s just not right!
    If pit stops took longer, then you'd see even more tire management! Teams always measure their alternatives on the basis of time gained on track, not on excitement of the crowd. If a pitstop takes 10 seconds more, teams would make the calculations to run at a lap delta that would only lose them 9.9 seconds all around. Remember that pitting loses them about 2 seconds stationary, 25 seconds in limited speeds, and then there's the risk of not finding a slot among other cars.

IIRC Pirellis were designed with 2 pit stops in mind. Teams figured out way to do one stint less by under-fueling their cars, and having drivers lift and coast and nurse their tires, they still finish the race in a shorter time.
    acket.

From that graphic, Albon in a RB never finished outside the top 6. Verstappen only finished behind Gasly once (7-1), with Albon that became 4-2. Vet-Lec was a 10-5 affair.

Also from that graphic, Brazil should hold the season finale.
    acket.

Albon for sure had been super consistent. Just a fraction of a second slower than Max, but way more consistent than Max. RB can't ask for a better #2 driver. He should've finished 2nd in Brazil, but good thing Gasly took his place. I guess that's some consolation for Gasly for his earlier demotion... and good encouragement for Honda so that they stay on...

If Albon could up his pace a tiny bit, maybe RB will then be able to let Max go! However, maybe Max was driving so near the limit, you just can't be that consistent when you're balancing on the knife's edge? If you're small budget team and don't like to see unnecessary repair bills, naturally Albon is the kind of driver you'd want. However, if you're one of the top teams looking to win races, surely Max would be the type of driver you'd want. As consistent as Albon was, he was never challenging for wins, right? He could've won Brazil if Hamilton punted Max off instead I suppose, but he was never that close to winning a race. However, I'm sure he has a lot of room for improvement.

Also thanks for that graphics, I almost forgot Renault did that well in Italy... so I guess they have a pretty powerful engine? Just that they probably copied their chassis design from last year's McLaren?

Anyway, I do hope somehow the rules can be modified to actually enhance actual racing on track... or they change all of their track layouts around the world to mimic brazil's configuration.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 5th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.

Speaking of consistency, I think McLaren lacked it. They only had both their cars inside the top 8 on 5 occasions. Theirs was the 4th fastest car, they should have been there on more than 25% of the races.
    acket.

I remember a few races where the top 3-5 guys were wanting the race pace to speed up. With aero being so bad for passing coupled with teams stretching the limits of the tires, the race pace is suffering. Imagine if they could go balls out the kind of pace we would see.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Speaking of consistency, I think McLaren lacked it. They only had both their cars inside the top 8 on 5 occasions. Theirs was the 4th fastest car, they should have been there on more than 25% of the races.
    Well, I disagree with that. According to that graphics, McLaren was only out of top 8 five out of 21 times.

Also, I just realized it was Kubica who gave Williams their only point of the season! And he still got canned...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 5th, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Well, I disagree with that. According to that graphics, McLaren was only out of top 8 five out of 21 times.

Also, I just realized it was Kubica who gave Williams their only point of the season! And he still got canned...
    He got whitewashed in qualifying 21-0 by Russell. It was right he got the boot.

Norris had some bad reliability and luck otherwise he'd have been much closer to Sainz. He got taken out in China, Spain, finished ahead of Sainz in Canada, retired in Germany when Sainz finished 5th, retired in Belgium although was classified as it was over 90% through the race and Retired due to an improperly attached wheel at his pit stop in Mexico. He'd have been much closer to Sainz without some of that.