Page 106 of 117 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1163

Thread: Formula One 2019

I would like to know why they keep adding weight. There is nothing cool about heavier cars.

That I have no clue, but for modern day cars, they typically add weight for safety reasons, right? For things like airbags...

Particularly if F1 cars continued to grow in size, for whatever reasons, weight will most likely follow the same trend. Halo devices contributed to additional weight like never before and I’m sure previous F1 cars didn’t need that many batteries onboard...

I do agree it’s kinda stupid to have the min wt rule altered all the time, particularly increased! They should just purposely set a very low target and let teams add structural weight to meet crash tests or whatever performance goals. Try to minimize the need for ballasts...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Some of the weight is unnecessary, for the resaons that RWA presented.

It has been argued that cars became heavier because of aerodynamics. Aerodynamics work better under load, load is a product of the wind speed against the object. A car that is longer is more stable at higher speeds, so as cars became faster in a straight line they became larger on the 'x' axis and in order to make the cars easier to turn, they had to be larger on the 'y' axis; so that's how you end up with a car that's longer and wider. Heavier was the way to keep the field level for all teams.
    acket.

I just got my first 1:18 F1 car since the 2013 RB9 I got back when. It's Lewis' Mexican GP '17 championship winning car. The thing is massive next to my Le Mans winners. I put it on the shelf next to the '94 McLaren F1 Le Mans winner and it dwarfs it.

One would think smaller would cause less aero disturbances in its wake. Smaller size is also physically easier to complete a pass too.

Again, the only sensible reason I can think of to make these cars longer would be safety reasons. If they’re making f1 cars longer for reasons other than for safety, then yeah, governing body must be fucking stupid to continue down that path.

Junior Potato
    The tracks are wider and faster too. It all balances out.

* Except Monaco.

Copy-and-paste from the F1 2020 thread:

"Albon officially confirmed at Red Bull for 2020 F1 season, alongside Max Verstappen.
    Gasly and Kvyat officially confirmed at Alpha Tauri for 2020 F1 season too. "

Just watching a rerun of the 2018 Brazil GP.
    Saw the Ocon - Verstappen's accident.
    I'm more robustly of the opinion Verstappen was an immature idiot in the circumstance.

I respect almost all of your F1 opinion, but blaming Max and siding with Ocon is just BS!

Anyway, if others wish to chime in, see for yourselves. If you are a lap down, should you race with the race leader and try to gain your lap back and in the process, collide with the race leader?

Incident happened at 4:00 mark.

Both Hamilton and Vettel were safely passed by Max in that same place... maybe those multi-champs just didn't want to fight with a crazy kid and let him thru... and since Ocon has nothing to lose by crashing, Ocon decided to cause a crash and take out the leader.

I just hope Ocon wasn't instructed by Mercedes to fight with Max...

I can agree with the assessment that Max may still be an immature idiot at times, but Ocon clearly wasn't thinking when he chose to pick a fight with the race leader while being lapped. Either he wasn't thinking or he was instructed to fight with Max by Mercedes.

F1 regulations say that you can unlap yourself if faster.
    There's no written word about "respecting" the leader - are you faster? You can pass, no matter who is in front of you (as it should be).
    That said Ocon did wrong in the SAME EXACT way as if they were racing and on the same lap, but Verstappen who was racing? He was racing Hamilton, not Ocon, so no point to squeeze in the corner to not make a faster lapped backmarker pass, hence the immaturity.

EDIT - the accusations of fight instructed by Mercedes is really childish.
    Last edited by Blerpa; November 15th, 2019 at 09:01 AM.