Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula One 2019

#F1:Size difference between a 2007 spec car and a 2019 spec car plus an included bonus image https://ift.tt/2G1wzf7

Holy cow, had not realized how much f1 cars have grown over the years... even just from 10 years ago!

Cars in early 90’s were the widest still. Wonder why they’ve narrowed it over the years...

Cool images!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post

Cars in early 90’s were the widest still. Wonder why they’ve narrowed it over the years...
    After looking at the pictures some more, I think I can answer my own question now...

My guess for the narrower modern cars is probably because the shorter front suspension arms and the longer nose will significantly reduce another Senna like accidents...

Can anyone confirm if I’m right?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Don't 2019 cars go on 18" rims?
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Also, they changed nose cone / front wing regulations and they weren't able to remove the unsightly "penis"?
    acket.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    After looking at the pictures some more, I think I can answer my own question now...

My guess for the narrower modern cars is probably because the shorter front suspension arms and the longer nose will significantly reduce another Senna like accidents...

Can anyone confirm if I’m right?
    Nope. Cars were made narrower in 1998 to promote passing. They’ve widened since then, but are still narrower than their peak width.

Well, for sure that hasn’t helped much with passing!

Junior Potato
    Hmmmm.

That year is also the year that they introduced grooved tyres, so on the one hand they try to make them easier to race side-by-side, but on the other they take lateral grip away.

Real smart.

But think about it. Formula 1 has never had spectacular battles, at least since I was a kid. There might have been one or two significant passes per race, but nothing like having amazing race-long battles between a number of cars. Now, F1 did go through a period of reduced passing, caused by aerodynamic and horsepower advantages that spread the field between the haves and have-nots, while the late 90s was the peak of Champ Car’s popularity. I fully believe that these rule changes were a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to dwindling viewership caused by boring races, but they were a step in the wrong direction.

Thankfully in recent years they’ve pulled it back the other way, with larger, simpler wings and wider cars with big fat slick tyres. Instead of trying to slow the cars down they’re letting them go faster but encouraging battles by having more grip and less aero sensitivity. The races are slightly more exciting so they’re on the right track.

Constructive critique please.

Liberty Media's plans to show live betting odds in F1 Broadcasts now looking like a rank outsider.

In what wasn't exactly huge news at the time, Liberty Media announced a partnership with Marketing agency Interregional Sports Group (ISG) on Tuesday 18th September tasking ISG to find deals with Betting companies on a local or global basis to potentially show live betting odds on TV broadcasts. This also involved an upfront payment from ISG to Liberty Media of $100m for a five year agreement. Not exactly small change.

At the time this didn't really go over all that well but was more or less forgotten about as the season came to a climax. What form this deal will take to viewers on screen, the majority of which take the FOM 'World Feed' and overlay either their own commentary and presenters or simply use the Sky Sports feed as FOM does for F1TV or previously the Channel 4 commentary feed isn't yet known, but could involve sporting odds from online bookmakers being shown on the screen before or during the race. Seeing 'Hamilton 1/6 to get on the podium' having started last due to a MGU-H failure in qualifying could potentially be a common sight if Liberty and ISG manage to sell it well enough. This could also be shown as 'virtual' signage around the tracks with Live Odds or plain Gambling Ads such as the 'Well done Baku!' Virtual signage that has already been seen on TV. So what's the point in the article then if this has already been reported on?

Well, at the beginning of December this year Gambling firms in the UK voluntarily agreed (or 'if you don't make the decision yourself we'll make it for you' said the UK Government) to stop advertising gambling on live sporting events and while this was originally reported on as 'whistle to whistle' due to the proliferation of gambling adverts during live football games, especially at half time, what has actually been agreed is no adverts during ALL live sporting events with the exception of Horse Racing which needs gambling to survive. This covers pretty much every live sport event shown on TV and while the English Premier League is by far the most popular for gambling advertising this will also mean no Gambling ads during F1 races for the 'flag to flag' period, that is the start of the formation lap to the chequered flag being shown.

At the moment gambling firms advertise heavily during live football events and also sponsor football clubs around the world with even some foreign firms being shirt sponsors for English Premier League teams despite having no UK based operations, such is the popularity of the EPL abroad. 60% of Football clubs in the top two English Divisions have shirts sponsored by Gambling companies and most teams have marketing agreements with a Gambling company of some sort. F1 is one of the most watched, regularly occuring sporting events globally so you can see how Gambling companies would be interested in advertising on one platform but reaching around the world to potentially 100's of millions of people.

F1 currently doesn't have any major deals, either by the teams, Liberty (nothing has been announced as yet with any gambling company as part of the ISG deal), FOM or the FIA themselves at the moment as Bernie Ecclestone always thought that it could damage the F1 brand but it appears Liberty Media have no such objections. Of course now that betting has effectively been 'banned' in the UK, Sky's primary audience and the only place to watch live Formula 1 in the UK from 2019 to 2024 I honestly cannot see Liberty's plans for live betting odds on screen getting any traction and, in all honesty it's likely to be a non-runner.

How Liberty plan to get round this effective ban, if they can, will certainly be interesting to see but as I really cannot see the World Feed by FOM being allowed to show gambling adverts and odds on screen and most TV stations are contractually obliged to show the World Feed without cutting away or showing their own coverage this is starting to sound like an absolute non-starter. In fact when Sky first signed up with FOM when it was still Ecclestone's baby they were the first TV company that were allowed their own cameras at Grands Prix and were able to cut away to their own camera shots rather than blindly following the whims of the FOM producer. I'm sure that individual feeds with Gambling adverts could be added after commentary and before broadcast to individual countries but this would likely be limited to a few dozen countries at most and if Liberty Media aren't careful they could easily get into trouble as Gambling advertising is banned in some countries that broadcast F1.