Page 60 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula One 2019

Junior Potato
    Thanks Joe

It wasn’t clearly explained in the highlights package.

Glad to be of service

Russell also got a penalty for holding up Kvyat. That one could have been ugly and it ruined Kvyats chances of moving to Q2. But to be fair Russell was behind two other cars queuing for their last shot at a hot lap right at the penultimate corner. Kvyat came around at about 150 only to see Russell nearly stopped and he had to bail way out wide into runoff area.

Fun session to watch when you know Mercedes actually has a chance of being beaten.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Fun session to watch when you know Mercedes actually has a chance of being beaten.
    Nothing against Mercedes, as they've clearly put in ze german Übungen üben, but no sport is fun when the winner is defined so far in advance before the contest.
    acket.

Iz ya

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Verstappen has an uncanny ability to complicate easy wins.
    acket.

Just happy we had a race that had a battle not including Mercedes.

Not sure you could call it an easy win. Homey came back from 5 secs down with less than 10 laps to go on a track where the lap times are just over a minute. Pretty damn impressive to get by Ferrari’s and Mercedes. Dude is cool as a cucumber and probably the best tire manager on the grid.

Either way it was easily the best race I’ve seen in a long time.

And did you hear Binotto's interview? Martin explains how he thinks it's good racing (as all the announcers think as well), Binotto talks about the rules governing that pass and how they should reverse it. Martin then jabs "so basically you're saying the only passing on the track should be DRS aided" to which Binotto says "basically yes". Good lord....
    Last edited by JoeW; June 30th, 2019 at 08:23 AM.

Well, that lacks key information that Binotto was saying.

He said as the rules currently are and have been enforced basically yes to Martin's question. He initially agreed that it shouldn't be a penalty in the rules. But no matter if the rules suck, they should be consistent on enforcement.

I agree with him, and I'm not a Ferrari fan (though I do like LeClerc).

So yeah, it comes down now to if he intentionally forced LeClerc off, or if LeClerc tried to take back a corner already lost. I actually think the latter. I think no penalty should be given, even given the current rules. Yeah Max went deep into the corner under braking, but once he turned in, he didn't turn back out or anything.

But yes, the rules should allow for that pass to be made whether either of the above situations is true, IMO. And in most people's opinions. But currently they're not written that way.

Can't believe we still don't have a decision...

BTW, I haven't heard anyone mention a very similar incident...

Though Rosberg was much more deliberate at forcing Hamilton off.

I was going to mention it but I couldn’t remember if there was a penalty or not

Great race, and pretty brilliant stuff from Max. I was torn, I wanted him to complete the comeback and win, at the same time I'll be happy when LeClerc gets his first win. Not quite sure how Max was so much quicker than everyone else in the last quarter of the race ?

Agree that his pass for the lead looked like something Hamilton established was fair play against Rosberg, many times - the alongside/inside car is on the racing line, and has the right to continue thereon. As long as you don't deliberately come off the racing line to hit the other driver, you're in the clear.

Oh, and amused that Max is now 3rd in the championship, ahead of both Ferraris.

Disappointed that Hamilton dropped to 5th, largely due to crunching his front wing I guess. Not that it really matters in the championship tho, and I'm fairly sure normal service of Merc 1-2s will resume shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    So how long until Gasly is demoted? When Sainz overtakes him in points? Probably sooner.
    Indeed - he finished a lap down on his teammate in the race-winning car, and behind a McLaren today. So unless there's some car problem to explain it, he's significantly underperforming and shouldn't really be in a Red Bull imo.

Junior Potato