Page 7 of 117 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula One 2019

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    It is in Assetto Corsa, both in the combined oval/road course layout and just the road course layout.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Mr. Horner is already complaining that the 2019 front wing regulations are going to be costly.

I guess the subtext is that it's going to be another 2017 for them. Got the chassis/suspension right but the aero wrong and thus they have to spend enormous resources to get it to work with the rest of the car. Entertaining.

Second guess: Renault, who have a mediocre enginge for qualifying, are going to benefit from the (further) clampdown on oil burning that is expected to knock a few ponies off the Q3 mode that Mercedes and Ferrari have been enjoying. They'll still retain their advantage but I expect Renault to regularly beat Haas for grid position, and if Red Bull are bad in the first flyaway races (Melbourne to Baku) we might as well have a fight for third place in the WCC.

Not really a guess, but McLaren should remain in the shitter. I think that finally James Key has been given the go ahead to join them, but his contribution won't be significant before the Belgian GP. Speaking of him, I think his reason for leaving Torro Rosso () was Honda. AFAIK, STR where not allowed to make any tweaks to the chassis, because the tweaks were being made to the engine, and Honda required a stable platform against which to check their progress; RBR obviously have priority over there and TR will remain a test bed for the Honda engine until RBR are fighting for wins, which could take some time. That was a proposition that maybe a junior engineer would accept but not someone who is supposed to be a leading innovator.
    acket.

It's sad to me that Haas has become the redheaded stepchild of Ferrari now.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Not really a guess, but McLaren should remain in the shitter. I think that finally James Key has been given the go ahead to join them, but his contribution won't be significant before the Belgian GP. Speaking of him, I think his reason for leaving Torro Rosso () was Honda. AFAIK, STR where not allowed to make any tweaks to the chassis, because the tweaks were being made to the engine, and Honda required a stable platform against which to check their progress; RBR obviously have priority over there and TR will remain a test bed for the Honda engine until RBR are fighting for wins, which could take some time. That was a proposition that maybe a junior engineer would accept but not someone who is supposed to be a leading innovator.
    That makes no sense. Can TR run last year's chassis? Most likely not, right? So if TR's new front wing didn't turn out to work as well as expected, they won't be allowed to try to fix it?

And even with such a stable testbed, how can they tell Honda tweaks are working hopping from track to track? Maybe your chassis is good a one track... Honda would end up believing their engine tweaks worked... and if the chassis isn't suited for another track... Honda would end up believing the engine tweak didn't work?

Anyway, I suppose I don't need to understand as long as it makes sense to them.

Front wing is not party of the chassis.

I understand chassis as everything between the front suspension assembly and the gearbox.

That excludes: frontal structures, floor, engine cover and other upper surfaces, tuning vanes, etc.

Now, progress along the season comes from the interplay of all those and other components. Now, imagine that your rear package update is projected to give you 10% more cornering speed but it requires a different chassis geometry than what you have now, and you have experimental components that could achieve that in exchange for different vibration dampening... you could go that route if your engine partner wasn't interested in trying all the different configurations that would benefit them.

In short, Toro Rosso will have tight restrictions on some basic interoperable componentry on their end.
    acket.

Floor’s not even part of the chassis? Anyway, so can they run the same chassis from last year? Length has changed, right? Or is it all mostly aero changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Can they run the same chassis from last year?
    I think the one main pillar of F1 is that each team has to race a unique car every year.

The last time that rule would have been given an exemption was when Manor F1 petitioned to start 2015 racing the 2014 Marussia car, something that was ultimately denied by the Strategy Group due to the new owners not providing clear information on how the team would function if the request was granted.
    acket.

So, anyone else hear Arrivabene is out?

I read plans were under review. As in 'very likely' but not yet final.
    acket.

Likeable chap. Not very friendly to the media (mostly Sky who are oh so vocal about it), but he seemed to be in good contact with everyone. I liked that he was an administrator type because quite frankly I don't see how an engineer type (the rumored shoe-in Mattia Binotto) could have made it better.

If the change is indeed confirmed, I, for one, will miss our Sartorial Overlord.

MaurizioStefania.jpg
    Last edited by FaultyMario; January 7th, 2019 at 05:58 AM.
    acket.