Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peterson thread!

I really think this guardian article addressed most of your points: https://amp.theguardian.com/commenti...ordan-peterson

This piece is by a fellow psychologist, addressing you gender pronounce issue and how the academia has been moving more and more to the left: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...n-peterson?amp

Anyway, Swervo, what constructive criticisms do you have for the video clip I posted at the very beginning?

My fear is that nowadays, everything’s so politicized that once our brain believe the other person opposes you, we magnify their faults and won’t believe them even if they’re telling the truth. Likewise, if a candidate shares our politics, then we can easily overlook their shortcomings...

Try to remove this political lense if possible. Peterson for sure is a hypocrite. For one, he teaches bible and believe we all should go to church but he himself doesn’t. I don’t know why he does that, but I’d be happy to not do as he does..., yet still agree with his teachings. Obviously not all of his teachings are good, his dietary advice is something I wouldn’t follow...

Lastly, he self identifies as a liberal. So please don’t categorize him as alt right!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 31st, 2018 at 02:12 PM.

The majority of his views on incels and how men need to grow up and take responsibility for their actions and all that stuff is perfectly fine. His reasons for why the problems exist in our current culture are dangerously close to batshit. I've listened to him enough on JRE to know that when you actually have a long conversation with him he tends to speak more like a Dad Who's Fed Up With His Shithead Son. Unfortunately, he's also a shit disturber and Twitter troll because has to sell his brand, so he ends up buried in that shit more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    His reasons for why the problems exist in our current culture are dangerously close to batshit.
    Can you be more specific?

Tom Servo already was. Splendidly.

I have no idea who he is, nor do I really want to know.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    My fear is that nowadays, everything’s so politicized that once our brain believe the other person opposes you, we magnify their faults and won’t believe them even if they’re telling the truth. Likewise, if a candidate shares our politics, then we can easily overlook their shortcomings...
    I feel like you continually project this onto me, and then you come along with a challenge much like the one at the end of every one of the early MST3K episodes, where they had to come up with something good about the movie they just watched. Then I do it, and you're satisfied for a while until you start bringing it back up again. I can find bad things about Obama. I can find good things about Trump. Of course I think one of them has more good qualities than the other, that's just the nature of agreeing with one over the other on pretty opposing viewpoints.

At any rate, I've said what I'm going to say about Peterson. I'm not convincing you of anything, and you're not convincing me of anything. The only thing I hope to convince you of is that I make a conscious effort to not pre-judge people. I've come to my determinations about Peterson both from things he's said and articles about him (and I've read the one you posted). I don't feel a need to look much further into it.

I’m not sure it’s just a projection, remember that last time you were trying to argue with me when we’re actually on the same side of the issue? Now, to be fair, I’ve made similar mistakes by failing to read things properly. The effect goes both ways, not trying to pin it just on you.

Further, I don’t remember when was the last time we changed each other’s minds. That’s why I didn’t bother writing any counter arguments myself. We’ll just let the interested readers, who are not named speedpimp, to read my linked articles for themselves to see if the left makes more sense or Peterson makes more sense.

Anyway, assuming there’s only one truth about Peterson, both you and I cannot be right at the same time.

Let’s just assume that I am wrong and you’re right, there’s still a significant amount of people who’d disagree with you and agree with Peterson. Can you still respect those people who self identifies as petersonists and just let them go clean up their rooms and if they can do that well enough... then hopefully tackle on life’s bigger challenges to perhaps clean up the world? ( of course hopefully he’s not some white supremacist in disguise and end up brainwashing folks into ethic cleansing. I think that’d be so clear cut and will render an ultimate end of this discussion)

If liberals can treat transgenders or any other minority group with respect and help them feel more comfortable, what about those who self identify as conservatives? They are a minority now as well!

Again I’m not just critical of liberals, conservatives can be way more hypocritical as well. Bunch of Self proclaimed Christians but wouldn’t do what Jesus would do...

Anyway, at least faith is still somewhat useful, as shown in the gun thread. It’s the non religious conservatives who are clinging to guns. Those are the people who need help and I believe Peterson is reaching them.

You can be critical of Peterson, but do you have any better solutions?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    You can be critical of Peterson, but do you have any better solutions?
    I've said what I'm going to say about Peterson, but this is a tired trope. It's the same thing that leads people to respond to movie/food/whatever critics to say "Oh, you think you can do better?" One does not need to be good at something to recognize if someone else is good at something.

If you’re going to trash a popular movie/restaurant, you gotta have very good and convincing reasons. Do you really think the counter argument links I provided all suck as bad as Billi? That you can’t possibly be wrong?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 31st, 2018 at 07:42 PM.

Administrator
    I gave my reasons. I don't know what else you want from me. I don't give a fuck if you watch all his videos and send him money. Have fun. Just stop trying to shoehorn him in everywhere else, because not everybody loves him like you do, and you do enough of that with Jesus.