Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCA Nationals TT Tour

Cuda, you definitely need to make it to one. It is awesome fun.

My experience was also amazing.

I arrived on Wednesday night around 615 and began unloading things and getting ready. Thursday started up and I passed on the first session of the day because of getting the car stickered up, tires swapped, etc. I passed on my second session to listen to Andy Pilgrim give us his track breakdown. Which ended up being invaluable. It was very cool. His breakdown was also streamed online, so I will post it up.

My first on track session ended up being in the rain, which was fucking terrifying with a c4 Corvette. The bilsteins I bought have less than decent valving. I'm pretty sure I would be comfortable calling them shit. They have like 3 k miles on them too. The wipers would wipe, water would roll of the windshield and splash into my eyes. I wasnt able to see a damn thing. It was miserable.

On session 2 of car, I do a once over and check fluid levels, and I SWEAR I saw bronze on the dipstick. I top off the oil and go out for another session at the peer pressure of others, and because I wasn't going to just let this weekend by after all the prep work I put into it.

Halfway through the session my oil temps, which had been 240-250, spike to 295 with a loss of power in like 10-15 seconds. I put the car in 6th and get the revs down as much as possible and limp to pits. I let it cool, top off oil, and check it again after dinner. Definitely a rod knock. I'll post video up later tonight.

Nate offers me a co-drive and I take it because the closest engine I trust is 6 hours away. I get my class swapped, and familiarize myself with his car on Fridays first session. I'm in the back of the pack and stuck behind an early SN95 Mustang THAT WILL NOT POINT 3 of us by. On the last lap, he blows his radiator and spews coolant everywhere outside of 1b to 2 as I am waving my arms like a wild man to get him off track.

We pit in at end of session and have the coaches talk with the mustang about it. Next time I go out, I'm gridded 15th, behind the mustang...... After two laps of me up his ass, I finally get a point by on the front straight. He stays full throttle the whole way up.... I wasn't happy but made the pass at my breaking zone, he dives in behind me and almost gets rear-ended by another mustang going for the pass also. I give myself the option to blow the corner and take the safe exit to avoid the corner but ultimately don't need it.

I quickly pull from him, then give the next car, an S550 mustang, a point by where he then goes wide later in the lap at sinkhole. The S550 was a very erratic driver. I get down to a 2'42 here, still not happy but getting the feel for the car.

The next practice session goes without too much drama, I'm still not much faster because of traffic and just not sure what the car is going to do, or the track for the matter.

Track sprint comes up and Nate and I elect for us to run all 3 as one driver, switch, then do the other three. I'm first to run. We start at turn 6, go down through 13, then jump on the front straight to 1a through 3 with the timing lights outside of 4. First run was slow and not sure about my breaking point for turn "14" onto the straight. Second run is better, and ultimately my fastest time, I think. Nate has the videos on this.

My first timed session I drop down to the low 2'40s. Still not happy yet, but I am making headway. Nate was clipping 2'34s pretty consistent, and I knew I needed to be down there if I wanted a chance at podium. Even with my Time Attack lead.

Next session of the day I prepare to go out and Nate tells me to get under 2'40 or don't bring the car back. Smacks my helmet, and I head to grid.

First lap out I'm stuck behind traffic and trying to get a point by, it finally happens and I take it with vigor. After 1 lap he isnt even in my mirror anymore. Another 2'40 clicks off. Lap 3 comes up and I start tossing the car into the corners and over the curbs at Nate's recommendation. I can feel the car sliding and slipping, tires are working but not squealing. I tuck the front end in tight out of the sinkhole and load the cars suspension for the esses and feed throttle for a good drive down the front straight. 2'38.8 pops up on the timer to a checkered flag. I am happy as hell. Finally felt like I knew where to place the car and what to do with it.

I put in and review what I did and talk more with Nate and all about next plan. I go out and first flying lap I money shift at table top from 4th to 3rd. I catch it fairly quick and get the car back into the right gear, engine still feels good. No noise that I could tell. Lap botched. I prep for next lap. Next lap starts and going strong on the lap. I get onto the esses and I hear engine noise and lift, I get off the racing line on the front straight and shut it down and park on the backside of 1b and wait for a tow. After reviewing the video the low oil light illuminated in t5 and I didn't notice it. After changing oil and checking things out, we decide it is most likely an oil pump failure.

My racing at this point was over, and I am ok with that. I had a blast driving Nate's car. The track is amazing. Very technical and extremely fast in places. Turn 1a is usually 65+ mph. It's freaking nutty how to take it fast.

I can't wait to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Turn 1a is usually 65+ mph. It's freaking nutty how to take it fast.
    "You can take Turn 1a at 80mph." -Andy Pilgrim.

Yes, Andy, YOU can.

Cool stories, bros! Engine troubles aside.

Everything I've heard is that people really enjoyed themselves at this event. Makes me wonder if it's one of those things that can't be replicated, or may change its face over time. Regardless, it sounds like it's worth the trip somehow, even if just to hang out geeking out at the track for a while.

I don't know about riding with Tony R, I've done 3 hours in a stock S2k and that was quite enough thanks. He's hardcore driving that thing as far as he has. And his gf is very generous and trusting, given that the S2k is her baby.

Nate, you talked elsewhere about maybe doing a Single Tour of the USA as a next step. After next May I'll be able to tell you from experience whether it's a good time or not. But I suspect you already have a good idea.

Cuda, it's the second year of the TT Nationals and by all accounts it's been a fantastic social event that happens to have some on-track action with it both years so far. I got to bring Ash and my Uncle to hang with Tyler, Keith, Dakota, and everyone else I've met on the tour this year. I'm not a very extroverted person but this series has a way of getting me to open up and dialogue with people. The event has a cap of 200 entries; last year it had about 130 and this year it had 194. The consensus is that it will fill up next year.

I have a high interest in the program and have talked at length with the program leads (mostly JonK, but also others) and there is a reserved concern that the #OneTeam mentality will melt away over time as people begin to put together SRS BZNESS builds specifically for the program. So far we don't seem to be there. That said, the Tour is going to look a little different next year. The SCCA as a whole isn't happy with how the non-Nationals tour events are under attended and won't support them without partner contributions. So they're shifting the branding somewhat to a pro-am/ladder mentality and co-sponsoring events with professional time trial organizations like Global Time Attack. Next year's Tour will have fewer dates and most of those dates will be shared with other organizations. In my opinion that will dilute the jovial atmosphere the tour enjoys now simply by putting a focus on winning and also sharing the paddock with professional racers that are not just there to turn laps and eat sausages.
    All that said, the Nationals date at NCM is entering year three of a ten year deal and I don't anticipate that specific event changing much, particularly if it's capped at 200. I think to do more entries they'd have to do more days, because right now they're running 6 groups w/33 cars per group and it's pretty much maxed out.

The pointy end of the field is sharp, but everyone seems to be having fun. You really should come out if you can make it. I am anticipating that Tyler's car is completely sorted by then, if he doesn't need a seat you're welcome to co-drive the E46. It will be in SpecE46 trim by then, so in Tuner 3.

Regarding your May travel plans, that's fantastic. Any idea what you'll be traveling in? Might be able to see you in Ohio if you don't mind the company. I have a very reserved idea about making that trip myself one day. I think it takes more than just being quick, but rather a certain compatibility with your partner and that's why I've talked about it with Tyler in the past, he might be the only person I know that I'm that comfortable with across that many disciplines. I'm still several years away from doing it. Good luck!

Sounds like you have found Your People. It was like that for me when I discovered autocross in 1999.

Does it take Tour participation to qualify for TT Nats? That used to be the M.O. in autocross, but no longer. 'Course, Solo Nationals can handle ~1300 people so there's not a huge incentive to make it exclusive.

Seems like NCM is a really fun track. Kind of far for us on the West coast, but for anyone east of the Rockies it's in a great location.

It's too early for me to plan specifically for it but I'd definitely like to keep it on the radar. It'd have to be some kind of fly-in and co-drive arrangement. Thanks for the awesome offer too!

At OLOA I'll be driving a lightly modded GT-R (aero, suspension, wide wheels/tires). The owner is just in it for fun, not to compete. In our discussions already on prepping for next year I'm finding it hard not to think competitively. I need to learn the event format and find out how much free time one may have at the track, but I understand people do swing by to watch and see their buds sometimes. It'd be cool to see you there! And yeah, from what I've heard, you have to team up with someone you can get along with for 175 hours straight. And who you can also trust not to wreck the car.

"...not wreck the car."

What about blow it up?

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    At OLOA I'll be driving a lightly modded GT-R (aero, suspension, wide wheels/tires).
    Sweet! Just had a look at the schedule and they are coming to Nelson’s Ledges.

Should be able to make a weekend out of it. As long as Mr Trivia Night and Sir Bionic Hip can take a break.

SCCA TT National Tour Nationals is, technically, not recognized as a 'jacket' championship like Solo Nats or the road racing Runoffs. As such, other than having a 200 participant cap, it has no other entry restrictions. There were some novices (ask Tyler, haha, he was stuck with them) who showed up with this as their first track event. Luckily the run groups are based on experience and then broken down further by car potential/lap time (so, 3 advanced groups, 2 intermediates, 1 Novice).

Nashville and Louisville both have decent sized airports and are relatively close to Bowling Green, just sayin'.

Someone summed NCM up pretty well; it's a technical track that's also fast. I spent four days on track there and there are entire segments I was never able to unpack. Can't wait to go back.

Try not to sweat wrecking the car, even AWH can put a Mclaren on it's side so nobody is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    "...not wreck the car."

What about blow it up?
    I'll state again for the record:

My car failed because I failed to prepare it. I haven't done the forensics but we're all pretty sure a simple and well known $12 nut would've prevented this.

I can't say why your car failed.

LOL. And I wasn't referring to you Tyler, btw. So you got put in the Rank Novice run group? Sounds like there might be more stories there.

Awesome Phil! Hope you can make it. I haven't been to Nelson Ledges, just heard of it. I'm looking forward to studying it and eventually driving it. Of the tracks on the schedule, I've only done Road Atlanta (one race) and VIR (demo laps in a stock GT-R). The rest will be new to me.

From their site: " If you are local to any of the venues please feel free to come on out. If you can't make it out in person, be sure to follow all of the action on our Facebook page featuring daily Live-Streams, team interviews, behind the scenes moments and more."

Andy discovered later what caused his off-course excursion. Basically, something rubbed a hole in a coolant hose and the flat floor of the car let the expelled coolant pool in one area, dumping it in front of a rear wheel kind of all at once under braking.