Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethicum colloquium, the thread on human conduct.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity
    It's okay to accuse me. I am aware of me possibly violating some ethics by constantly talking about stuffs people don't want to hear.
    Great! I mean, I wasn't, but I'll keep that in my back pocket for the future for sure. In the meantime, what was it that you said here that you think people "don't want to hear", and what do you mean by that?

I guess you didn’t read my response to DN.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I don't disagree with most of what you said. But the don't push it on the unwilling part has a kinda big gray area to work out...

For example, if I don't know you, how can I know if you're willing or unwilling?
    Further, for this board, it's obviously unwilling, but some how discussions still end up going there, so am I pushing it? Is the ethical thing to do is just to shut up and don't join these type of discussions and just let you guys shut down at the possibility that perhaps moral compasses are working based on something more absolute than you think?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Branching out a bit here. We watched the last episode of season 3 of Amazon's The Man in the High Castle. Without veering off too much into a work of fiction, there's a scene in which, in a fascist country, people have a wild night out (clearly inspired by the tikitorchers of Charlottesville) and riot against libraries and dissent. Coincidentally I was telling the wife about those kids from Kentucky who had the confrontation with the native american elder in Washington D.C. and how there was some comment online about how kids shouting "build the wall!", how a teenager facing off and smirking at an old man brings up collective memories of cruelty, of disdain.

Those two things, the fictional fascists rioting and the look of cruelty got me thinking, there's no coming back from inhumanity, there's no way someone who voids another person of their inner humanity can live an ethical life again. I mean, Nazi Germany had to be destroyed and Germany had to be denazified after that.
    acket.

The teenager facing off and smirking at an old man didn't do anything unethical whether in relative or absolute sense. Didn't even shout 'build the wall'. Unless you count wearing MAGA cap as doing something wrong... Anyway, somebody on the left with bogus twitter account totally blew that out of proportion. Dunno, maybe Russians or whoever'll benefit by destabilizing US are behind this BS social media movement. Twitter and Facebook really need to be more careful in the future. Need to discuss the ethical social responsibilities of these social media companies...

Regarding your personal comment, I dislike the sentiment of 'no way' somebody like a Nazi can live ethical life again. Well, I can agree with 'unlikely', but 'no way' is just a bit too much I think. People can change. Whether from bad to good or good to bad. I just don't believe in writing people off like that. Punishment is definitely necessary or justified, but if we're just going to write off people like that, we might as well just shut down prisons. Just beat the crap out of the criminals as punishment... or if the crime is severe enough and since we already know they won't change, then just execute them all. Why waste tax money on prisons, prison guards, and food for the prisoners?

As long as somebody is living, rehabilitation should still remain a possibility. Even if the Nazi doesn't repent, we still need to learn to forgive. Just have to remember to not forget.

The teenager didn't do anything unethical
    And with that, this one becomes the second thread in which I will completely ignore you.
    We might get along just fine but I feel there's not enough room for us to dissent, or maybe the dissenting views we have are way too far apart, I don't know, It seems too much effort to find out.

God bless you, buddy.
    acket.

Did you keep yourself updated with the latest news?

Or you're just living inside a bubble?

But IMHO it'd the unethical thing to do.

Being judgemental of the world with incomplete view of the world.

Ignore isn't a way that can help you find the truth.

Go ahead, stay in your bubble.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 22nd, 2019 at 01:12 PM.

How would that change what I saw in the first interaction?
    acket.

Just google CNN or whatever lefty media of your choosing and see the story for its entirety... and don't just make a snap judgement based on the few seconds of video the fake twitter posted.

Just google CNN or whatever lefty media of your choosing and see the story for its entirety... and don't just make a snap judgement based on the few seconds of video the fake twitter posted.
    A lot of assumptions there, eh?

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...onvington-boys
    acket.

I said in my original post, and I quote:

how a teenager facing off and smirking at an old man brings up collective memories of cruelty, of disdain
    and then I linked to an image of other teenage boys at some other point in time being cruel and disdainful.

Why the need to add layers to other people's messages?
    acket.