Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Ethicum colloquium, the thread on human conduct.

In this crazy world we live in, the only sensible people I can find are comedians!

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Think of it this way...

What if a sexual racist predator discovered an important scientific theory? Should we also stop enjoying that theory and pretend it’s bogus?
    You can't, because those are not the same things.

I agree with RWA. BTW, Einstein was racist.

Contributions are contributions. No need to be a contribution-ist and decide for other people which contributions get to stay and which contributions get to be scratched off for the later generations...

If we’re gonna judge, just judge a person’s contributions on a case by case basis. It’s fine to judge a person to be a fucking racist or whatever-ist because of his fucked up contributions, but I don’t see the need to cancel out everything associated with him.

If we stone all sinners, everyone would be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    I agree with RWA. BTW, Einstein was racist.

I think Einstein had a particularly negative view of Chinese people according to his travel journal or something..., so how would you cancel him and his contributions to humanity?

We can keep his theories in physics text books and just delete his name? So future students of physics would have no clue who came up with the theory?

Maybe think of it as an archeologist, if you discovered some sort of ancient relics, arts or entire lost cities or whatever... and then later on discovered that these people sacrifice babies!!! Dang! Fuck them assholes! Let's quickly destroy everything we've dug up and just erase them?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 3rd, 2020 at 09:38 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Audi drivers ARE jerks. Science confirms!

In studies 1–3, we tested whether higher social class is linked to more unethical behaviors in naturalistic settings (behavior while driving) and unethical responding to various ethical judgments. In study 4, we extended our research by examining whether experimentally primed higher and lower social-class mindsets cause different levels of unethical judgment and behavior. In studies 5–7, we examined whether more positive attitudes toward greed help explain why higher social class relates to greater unethicality.
    Relative to lower-class individuals, individuals from upper-class backgrounds behaved more unethically in both naturalistic and laboratory settings. Our confidence in these findings is bolstered by their consistency across operationalizations of social class, including a material symbol of social class identity (one's vehicle), assessments of subjective SES, and a manipulation of relative social-class rank, results that point to a psychological dimension to higher social class that gives rise to unethical action.
    acket.

I think you're being unfair to Audi drivers, personally I find Audi drivers to be better than BMW drivers. Of course Porsche drivers are the best. They are never dicks.

Anyway, nice for science to confirm that wealth tend to let people inflate their egos.

I think Bible has taught and cautioned us about this long ago. King David, a model citizen. Adored by God Himself. He decided that it's okay to have sex with another man's wife and then kill that man later only when he's a rich and powerful king. (Sorry Audi did not exist back then)

This is something David would NEVER do while he was a shepherd boy or even as a young man.

Of course rich and power people have way more access than ordinary folks too. Surely Bill Gates would never know Jeff Epstein so if he weren't a billionaire, he probably would still be a nice geek and happily married.

Moral of the story is that we need to be careful as we become richer and more powerful.

I don't think we need to see all rich people as more evil though. Just be real careful dealing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I think you're being unfair to Audi drivers, personally I find Audi drivers to be better than BMW drivers
    Not entirely sure what this thread is about, I’ve never actually read through it. But regarding Audi drivers, I find them to be the absolute worst. My experience is only recent, since I got my TL a little over a year ago. Of all the drivers on the road, Audi drivers seem to act the most dickish around me. It’s like something gets triggered inside them when they see an Acura, and feel they need to prove something. Audi Jrs as well, (VWs). BMW and Mercedes drivers don’t really give a fuck when they see me, and are nowhere near as aggressive as these pesky Audi drivers.

I don’t race per se, but do oblige when I feel someone is messing with me. I can take most A-series Audi models, (I do love roasting A5s). I actively try to avoid provoking the S’s.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I've had thoughts on general human behavior regarding things like below:

"@donwinslow
    I am 67 years old.

I have never seen a young Black woman's disappearance covered like the #gabbypetitio disappearance.

Not once.

That is horribly wrong."

Something most people don't really directly talk about is one of humanity's greatest flaws....the misplaced perception of "potential", and how it relates to us.

In this case the idea that girls/women who aren't white, pretty, etc. won't be covered because most won't care about them or their "potential"

Someone who is black, latino, etc. or with mental struggles won't get the same kind of attention and coverage.

But the issue IMO is far wider than that small example. We decide whether animals are good for pets or good for food based on their "potential" to us as those things. People try to legitimize eating meats (And I'm no vegetarian) sometimes by bringing up things like, what's the potential of a chicken or a cow or a pig as far as a "pet" or something that has a unique personality.

Certain places treat dogs as food and not as pets, others treat horses as both even, but many people not in those places would be absolutely horrified at the thought of that. We collectively decided in our own societies what is acceptable as food and what is acceptable as companions. Cows are treated like gods in India, but a favorite meat in the west.

Separately, I see a lot of the issues with the narrative around race relations as the same kinds of things. People stereotype black people as being "criminals" or mexicans as being "lazy". Note that it's often people pushing their pro-white agenda and using a lot of the same tactics as fascists....but the point remains.

If you can destroy the idea of one's "potential" to a wide enough audience, in their minds it matters less what happens to them, we hear the old tropes of people falsely accused "they would have stolen stuff some other time anyway" as an example.

I do think back to the Agent Smith line in the Matrix Reloaded (stop laughing) about "Purpose" and what drives us...but I think it's our perception of "Potential" in how we treat others.

Administrator
    There's something about the Petito thing that reminds me of a thing we had out here.

We had a woman get killed on her way home from work at a nearby intersection, maybe 3/4 of a mile from my place. It ended up getting this outpouring of outrage and demands that the city do something about that intersection. It's on a road out here called Olympic which at the time had a 35mph speed limit, but people regularly do 60+ because it's built like a freeway. Three lanes one direction, four the other, pretty flat and straight as an arrow in that section. The person who hit the woman was a 17 year old who had no license and was driving the Lamborghini Urus that his dad bought him, reportedly doing ~100mph when he hit her.

I think the combination of her being pretty attractive and a "look at this spoiled rich kid, let's teach him and his idiot father a lesson" thing ended up bringing out an outrage that we should have *every* time this happens. For weeks there were people out at the intersection holding up signs, demanding safety improvements. The local news covered it regularly, and Nextdoor was full of people just apoplectic that this could happen on our streets.

The thing is, it happens all the time, and most of the time nobody cares. Maybe two weeks later a woman in her 40s was killed a few miles away when one of two people street racing at 4 in the afternoon slammed into her car. It barely registered a blip. A woman was just killed while walking with her three year old by a hit-and-run driver down in Playa del Rey, that also hasn't gotten the same reaction.

I realize it doesn't have that same connotation as the Petito thing, which follows in a long line of only caring when it's an attractive white woman who goes missing, but I think it follows in the "potential" idea. In this case, both in the potential of the woman killed but also the assumed lack of potential from the spoiled rich kid in a Lamborghini.

There's still a memorial at the corner where she was killed, but it's gotten a lot smaller, and there are no demonstrators anymore. The city put in left turn arrows at the intersection, though I'm not sure how that's supposed to help because supposedly the kid doing 100mph ran the light. The best part is, due to the fact that we have this idiotic 85th percentile speed limit law, the other safety enhancement was to *raise* the speed limit to 40mph so that the cops could legally stop speeders again.