Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethicum colloquium, the thread on human conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Yes, you were fully ready to make judgements based on lots of assumptions.

All I’m asking is please don’t.

We don’t know the whole truth, yet we act like we do... or we act like we don’t care what is really true.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Yes, you were fully ready to make judgements based on lots of assumptions.

All I’m asking is please don’t.

We don’t know the whole truth, yet we act like we do... or we act like we don’t care what is really true.
    What the fucking fuck?

I am not discussing the truthiness of the event, I am focusing on the gaze. On how the boy's stance triggered a discussion.

Can't you move forward?
    acket.

Yes or no... anyway, let’s move fwd.

Calm down dude.

Anyway, looks like DN has lost interest in discussing this further, so I'm just going to conclude my thoughts...

It is my belief that everyone of us has a moral compass, given to us either by God or by mother nature, showing us what's right and what's wrong. Migrating animals can have internal compasses built in to know which way to go, so this belief of mine is not completely impossible. However, it is not impossible for some migrating animals to slightly deviate and go off course at times... life forms are certainly corruptible, not to mention that human beings are also incredibly free willed.

I think even child molesters know they're fucking wrong when they're doing such evil. Even smokers know that it's slowly killing themselves and killing those around them. People disagree mostly because people choose to ignore their compass for whatever reasons. Mostly due to their feelings I guess. If it makes me happy, it can't be that bad. However, pursuit of happiness cannot take precedent over people's lives and liberties. When people have that priority screwed up, unethical behaviors will inevitably spring up.

Back to gene editing. You're messing with other people's lives and liberties when you do that. If you want to edit your own genes, I'd have nothing against that. But to me, my moral compass is making me feel wrong about manipulating other people's genes for custom enhancements. If the procedures are for curing diseases, then of course my moral compass has nothing against that kind of gene editing.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 23rd, 2019 at 12:04 PM.

https://impact.vice.com/en_us/articl...dia-and-africa

An article on the solar mamas. Third world women from remote communities who are trained in basics solar energy engineering so they can provide power back in their communities.
    acket.

Not sure how that applies to ethics... is there some reason that is bad?

Very cool and inspiring story about what Barefoot College is doing in rural community. I wish they could've reported this story without having to knock down men in their community. Why does it have to make the statement that men are untrainable? The article itself clearly stated men could be trained, the problem was that once they're certified, they'd leave their village and go find better jobs... so it's not a matter of men can't be trained.

This heart warming story made it sound like their world is probably better off without these useless men... Anyway, I hope these solar mamas will also be able to raise their sons right and also be able to train their sons to be able to maintain their solar power systems eventhough Barefoot College has decided to give up on men in their village...

Anyway, this is really an awesome story, but sorry I can't help but feeling a little irked by its need to knock down men like that. Was that really necessary? Maybe I'm too sensitive...

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Not sure how that applies to ethics... is there some reason that is bad?
    There's a couple of issues brought up by the article, one is the difference between male and female conduct, and why the college won't train (younger) males; and the other has to do with cooperation among small collectives (Barefoot is itself pretty small) and how their courses of action when an objective for common good is established, while still similar are still not a unified narrative; in other words, goodness can manifest uniquely, not necessarily in accordance to a one gospel.
    acket.

Not sure differences of male and female conduct can be morally or ethically judged. Just as how can we judge whether it's more ethical to be an extrovert or introvert? There's really no right or wrong regarding those kind of things.

If you teach somebody how to fish, can you really force them only to fish in a certain area? Sooner or later, every mama who could do solar will know how to do it, then what would Bare Foot do? Move on to the next village and just let those useless men rot? Plus, men who found jobs outside of the village could possibly still be contributing back to the village with their higher paying jobs else where. No all men are dead beat dads you know.

Anyway, Bare Foot certainly has the right to help these poor villages the best way they deem appropriate. I don't think we need to enact legislation to force Bare Foot to provide equal opportunity for all genders, but I do wish they could instill in those people the idea of equal opportunity for all and not to paint men as untrainable or unreliable. Empowering one group of people doesn't have to come at the expense of discounting another group of people.

Author of the article is clearly somewhat feministic based on her writing. Not sure about Barefoot College, based on wiki, it's about empowering women as well.

So when christian missionaries moved in to a village and try to spread their gospel and do good is deemed unethical to some of you, surely an organization like this one moving in to help and spread their 'gospel' can also be somewhat unethical?

Anyway, I do agree, doing good is, after all, doing good. Though I might disagree with the ideology they're spreading, I can't fault them for doing good and helping those poor villages. Some of you probably also believe Jesus's gospel is about oppressing women and enslaving dark skin people..., I suppose it is also possible that I'm wrong about feminists too I suppose. Maybe men are kinda useless.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity
    Maybe I'm too sensitive...
    I finally read the article. The goal appears to be both provide power to small, rural communities and to have fewer people in those communities become sick from years of exposure to things like kerosene smoke. They tried teaching it to everyone, but found that they got better results from the women, so now they focus on the women. I didn't see anything knocking down men, I saw them recounting their experience. They didn't say what men tended to do was wrong, it just didn't line up with their goals. So, IMHO, you might be a little too sensitive.