Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS Recommendations

Female Masturbatory Aid

NAS Recommendations

Currently, I'm using my desktop's spare drive as a shared drive on the network (her mac is mapped to it, essentially it's "hers").

That said, I've been thinking about a NAS for a while (eg years), but never got any further than that.

What would you chaps recommend?

I currently have 2x 4GB "green" WDC drives. I doubt I would ever need more than 10GB, ever.

Is it worth the money (hassle?) to set up a NAS for a PC (ultimately two) and a Mac? Or just keep doing the clunky "shared drive" through W10?

I'm thinking one central location for both our collective shit, may be worth it, given we've fucked off twice because of goddamn hurricanes. Itd be easier to grab that box and bolt, than pull HDDs out of shit.

Administrator
    I'm in a similar boat. No recommendations as I've never set up a NAS, but poking in to make sure I remember to keep tabs on this thread.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I looked into it, a little, about 4-5 years ago, and said "fuck it". But I'm now seriously entertaining the idea. I know the price range varies, greatly, depending on brand/size, etc.

I suggest Illmatic
    -Formerly Stabulator

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    I suggest Illmatic
    damn, beat me to it

Jokes on me. Having never heard of that particular NAS company, I did a search...very funny

Fud are you just using as backup or as actual shared files you access all the time?
    Last edited by JoeW; January 12th, 2019 at 12:43 PM.

I saw something called FreeNAS recently that sounds interesting. I was going to look into it more down the line. Basically you just build a very basic PC, and use it as the OS, and set up all your options for Win/Mac/Linux, RAID, etc. I actually saw it in a huge dual build, using a huge EATX case with two mobo's, one for the main rig, then the NAS down in the bottom.

Last edited by Freude am Fahren; January 12th, 2019 at 12:42 PM.

I bet the market has changed now, thanks to apps and such, but after having backup hard drives and an NAS stop working consistently or at all, and struggling to have non-Windows devices access fiiles, I decided to spend my money on online storage instead. Nothing crazy, just a TB with Google, which got upgraded for free to 2 TB this year, for $100/year. It's not a perfect solution, and may not be right for you at all, but I think it's worth considering if you have fast, unlimited internet at home.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    I did the same thing with OneDrive and as far as I can tell, it likes to leave local copies on your hard drive. I'm looking to move large files into cloud storage to both handle backups for me and clear up local drive space, how well does Google work for that?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post

Fud are you just using as backup or as actual shared files you access all the time?
    A little of both, actually. Her Mac has a 500 gig drive in it, but she's got far more than that. I've got a 4TB drive on my PC shared with all her/my music/etc. She pulls her iTunes from the PC, since there's not enough space on her Mac. As well as the backup files/etc that she works with/on and needs.

That riptide thing is reediculous. But I approve.