Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NAS Recommendations

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I pulled the trigger this week on the DS218+, got the 3xtra 4GB RAM and a single WD RED 6TB.

Once I got done fucking around with being able to see it on the network, transfers are a breeze. (Apparently, it doesn't like being plugged straight into the modem, once I put it on the router, it magically appeared....)

An Explorer-to-Explorer (through Windows) is infinitely faster than through the Synology Web Assistant. I moved 600GB that took about 5 hours through the assistant, and 1.7TB through Explorer in roughly 3.

Just need to get the Mac pointed at it, and I think we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Interesting. The Synology one may be the ticket. I won't ask about RAID, as I:
    A: Know fuck all about it
    B: Don't care to know more about it.
    I'll tell you anyway.

RAID is a very simple concept.
    Same data is stored to more than one place.

First type is mirroring, that is IMO only sane backup in use method.
    Like disks 1, 2 and 3 have identical logical contents.

Second type is splitting, where a logical disk is more than one physical device.

Combinations of both are also possible.

Reliability and speed were propably basic thoughts when inventing the thing.
    Until bean counters came and mirroring were left behind.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I understand the concept, just never used it in practice.

So how do you like the Synology?

I am considering getting a Drobo or Synology for all my photos and files for backup purposes. I probably need at least 25TB to cover current needs. Maybe 6-8 drive capacity.

Wouldn’t necessarily be using it for everyday access...strictly for backup and occasional access. I currently use a bunch of hard drives sitting in the drawer with labels on them. Real classy but I’d like to have a more robust solution.

Recommendations welcome.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Eyeing the WD My cloud EX2. Anybody have any experience with it? The internetz is all over in its critique of it.
    acket.

I have an original MyCloud 8TB version - it's OK for local storage on the LAN, but for about a year I have been unable to access it over the internet. Admittedly I haven't tried too hard to fix it.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Shit, did I really miss this for a month??

Joe, It's good. Got it set up/connected to every PC in the house, she's got her own folder for her stuff, got all my music/etc on it.

Currently have about 1.9TB left of the 6TB drive. I think I'm set for a while.

The only real bitch I have about it, is if the power blinks out. I've thrown vulgarity and objects at the wall trying to re-find the fucking thing, and have had to remap drives through the Assistant (finding the server was the bitch part, first).