Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ace Combat 7

I wanted to love AC7 but something about the control set didn't work for me. I only played one or two missions then never turned it on again.

AC4: Shattered Skies is one of my favorite games of all time and AC7 couldn't build on that. Maybe I'll do as you did and go back and give it another try.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I could not sleep the other night, so I revisited this mission, unsuccessfully. Tried again the next day. I still could not complete it, despite trying about 20 times. It's a tough one, for sure, even on normal difficulty. I got really close once. I have to get lucky with the gun or get a point-blank missile hit to shoot down an enemy fighter. Their planes' performance defy physics.
    It’s been a looooong time since I played AC6, but is this a mission over a capital city that surrounds a bay? You might be revisiting it for the second time in the campaign. My memory is foggy.

But one thing I do remember which might help you out, is that you earn an air-to-air missile type that fires multiple (either 4 or 6) warheads simultaneously and they’re ultra manoeuvrable, making it possible to take down multiple targets with one push of the button.

At the very least, having a browse through your catalogue of AAM weapons might be the key.

It's the mission where you have to shoot down the huge, slow-moving Agaion aircraft (which itself is an aircraft carrier) and it's four other large support aircraft, while simultaneously trying to fight off Strigon Squadron. It's nearly impossible to get a hit with missiles. I shoot down more of them with my gun. They tend to fly close in front of you to bait you so their wingmen can shoot you down. That is the best chance to shoot them down, but it also leaves you the most vulnerable. That said, there is a better chance for a missile hit with the highly-maneuverable, single-shot missiles (QAAM) than the six-at-once (XMA6) missiles. The XMA6, or similar special weapons, are good for a more expedient take-out of the large aircraft, despite being useless against the fighters. The most annoying thing about the mission is that you have additional squadrons accompanying you, but they do absolutely nothing, as far as I can tell. You have to shoot every single last target yourself. I was using XMA6 for a while, but switched to QAAM.

When Strigon squad is taking off from the aircraft carrier, I wait behind when they fly out. I can hit a plane with two missiles and my gun, but they just fly off. Temporary invulnerability. Cheap.

I tried several more times in the past few days with no success. I get close, but those Strigon buggers are just SO difficult to shoot down.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I wanted to love AC7 but something about the control set didn't work for me. I only played one or two missions then never turned it on again.

AC4: Shattered Skies is one of my favorite games of all time and AC7 couldn't build on that. Maybe I'll do as you did and go back and give it another try.
    AC4 was gold.

I seem to remember playing every iteration of the Ace Combat series, but I do not remember individual games. Old man brain.

I meant to post more about this. I did finally beat mission 9, "Heavy Command Cruiser." It took many, many tries. It had been so long since I played through AC6 that I forgot that you can direct your wingman to attack specific targets. I normally equip him with the F-22 and XMA6. On the next mission, the first time we encountered another squadron, I directed him to attack the four approaching aircraft. He said, "Roger." and I heard the sound of missiles launching. He destroyed all four planes in one shot. "Oh, that's how I use him." I did not have nearly as much trouble with the rest of the missions as mission 9.

I started a new game. I had forgotten the story, as it had been so long since I played it. This time through is going pretty quickly and I breezed through mission 9 by comparison.

As a side note, I muted the music in the game, but it also mutes the audio during the cut scenes. Strange bug.

Did another playthrough of AC7. It’s kind of disappointing that you can play it through in one sitting. I enjoyed it though. Great series of games.

Junior Potato
    Yeah I love them. Just the right combo of ridiculously cheesy and ironically self-important.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Play this every now and then (usually a mission at a time) when i get the time/have the urge. I'm so glad the controls (i use the more advanced setup) are basically the same from the old PS1 (? - or PS2?) days. Gone a good decade or more without playing an AC game, fired it up earlier this year and within a minute i was competently flying around.

As i usually do in these games, i'll be aiming to unlock/purchase the F15 Eagle, the fighter jet i fell in love with in the 90's and is the best ever jet in my eyes. And somewhat statistically in real life too.

I never really pay attention to the story in these games, i still watch cutscenes etc but am mainly interested in the flying and the shooting.

There was a 7GB update for this game recently. Anyone know what that’s about? Seems odd that there would be a huge update for a game this old.