Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Formula E - The New Hotness?

Audi & BMW to leave Formula E
    https://the-race.com/formula-e/audi-...f-2021-season/
    https://the-race.com/formula-e/bmw-a...fter-season-7/

I'm pretty surprised, I thought electric was the future for these big OEMs. Maybe Honda would like to join in?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Isn't BMW joining Nascar?
    acket.

WUT?

Would make sense seeing as how they seem to be run by someone on LSD right now.

BMW getting bored and leaving a premier Formula series? Nawwwww.

Been watching the last few of these races. Do they ever race on dedicated race tracks as opposed to these made-up shitty street circuits?

Junior Potato
    Closest you’ll get is pre-season testing at Valencia. I don’t think they will ever take it to a normal road course.

Disappointing. These narrow street tracks are awful for actual racing.

I think EVs need lots of braking to regenerate energy back to its battery. Stop and go traffic tend to give EVs the best ranges! Constant freeway travel isn’t as ideal for EVs. Faster you cruise, less range you’ll achieve because aero drag increases at a rate of Velocity ^2! I think worst track for F-E would be ovals. They probably won’t be able to go very far at such sustained high speeds without much braking… will probably take forever to complete the Indy 500!

Anyway, street circuits are for sure most ideal for EVs.

Unless they can somehow modify/electrify sausages curbs to be able to charge these FE cars thru the floor on the go, they’ll probably never be able to race on normal tracks.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Disappointing. These narrow street tracks are awful for actual racing.
    That's the niche they are going for. Bring the clean electric racing to the city folk, rather than trying to get people to go see FE out in remote areas where tracks are located when race fans who DO are more likely to want to see traditional dinosaur-powered racing. Street circuits are more expensive to set up for one-day events but they can get away with this in-part by using carparks and multi-purpose precincts to make up some or all of their tracks, and the added exposure will be good for attracting advertising.

Plus the racing style and event format is more tailored around the electric cars, which really don't have that high of a top speed. They would look utterly pants at Spa or Monza and probably run slower lap times than an F4 car. Even when testing at Valencia, it's a shortened layout compared to what we see in MotoGP with half the front straight cut off. This year they upgraded to using the full Monaco GP track because they have a longer range than they did before, where previously they used a short version that took a hard right at turn 1 and met up with the chicane as a hairpin. They did look good on the full track, but that's a really tight F1 circuit that makes for a comparatively fast and open FE circuit.

I really want them to come to Surfers Paradise and run on the circuit here in the weekend before the Supercars race, but I doubt they want to be seen to be associated with a low-tech gas-guzzling event like our V8s proudly are

They could potentially add temporary chicanes to dedicated tracks, but I believe the choice to run street circuits is based on bringing the product to potential consumers rather than having them travel to you. That's also why they include so many gimmicks, they're trying to appeal to a new audience in a new way. I don't know what the long term viability is of their current strategy, but they have shown the willingness to change it as technology allows.

And it's not like F1 and IndyCar aren't copying them by going to shitty street courses in populous cities lately just because some local government and/or company is willing to pay and promote.