Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula E - The New Hotness?

I wish they would say "Hey now that you all see that this is a viable series, we're going to expand to real circuits and race tires (but not the garbage Pirelli has in F1), and make for a more watchable series."

^^^ This.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    The street circuits thing is purely for marketing, they want to try and sell electric vehicles in urban settings. It's not likely to change any time soon.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

I think the reason is probably more technical. EVs just can’t last very long if they’re going flat out all the time. Street circuits don’t go as fast and lots of regen braking can help the races last longer.

Junior Potato
    ^ this is correct. The FE cars suit tighter circuits better than they do the faster open circuits, due mostly to battery power requirements. I could see them racing at tracks that have short variants, like Vallelunga. But that doesn’t mean they will, because marketing.

Speaking of which, I don’t think *anyone* watches FE. All of it would be heavily subsidised through sponsorship money. They don’t have a TV deal to pay for it all like F1 and MotoGP et al do, nor do they have a marquee race to hang the brand from, like the Indy 500 or 24 Hours of Le Mans. With everyone having the same chassis, the only thing manufacturers need to to do bring a team and their power units, and I think everything else is paid for by whoever is bankrolling the series.

I’ve seen lots of international series come and go because the money wasn’t there (anyone else remember A1GP?), but I think FE is different because there’s a strong forward-looking concept behind it. It might be viable to the series promoters because it could end up being sold to F1 once it starts becoming a self-sustaining series with its own fanbase. If the technology is robust enough, it could easily be absorbed into F1 or sportscar racing. I’m sure everyone out there would love to be able to attract that many manufacturers into their own series.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I wonder if electric is more suited to the start/stop nature of street circuits. It's not that they correlate exactly, but a lot of EV specs I've looked at, they give a better range when used as commuters than in long hauls.
    acket.

Street circuits = population base on doorstep, to whom you can sell tickets.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Apart from that.
    acket.

Keith watches it.

They sell well in live spectators: at least the events in Italy have sold out easily, more than on tv.