Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula E - The New Hotness?

In terms of racing I think the MotoE would be closer in pace to MotoGP than the F-E to F1.
    It also looks and feels like the "real thing" - even if it doesnt sound like it!

No way they’ll ever match the real thing. Just as horseless carriages would never match horse carriages!

Another gimmick F-E could add is allowing for autonomous teammates! Becoming test bed for those rich autonomous companies...

Considering how it has grown, I can foresee F-E surpassing F1 eventually. Even F1 has became hybrids. So natural conclusion for F1 will probably either become irrelevant or perhaps simply merge or take over F-E in about a decade or so?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    There is plans for an autonomous racing series coming soon I believe....there was an autonomous car that went through Goodwood during the Festival of Speed. There's literally no cockpit at all

Junior Potato
    Billi, I believe the long-term plan for Formula E is for it to drive development of electric racing cars and eventually become one of many electric racing series. It won’t supplant F1, as that will turn into a E-category on its own in the coming decades. It’s meant to lead to a world where we eventually replace petrol powered racing with electric racing.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    There is plans for an autonomous racing series coming soon I believe....there was an autonomous car that went through Goodwood during the Festival of Speed. There's literally no cockpit at all
    It’d be awesome to have a series of some sort that can pit men against machines in a fair way. When machines can win drivers championships, then the world will probably be ready for them on public roads.

Such series would definitely get my attention.

Junior Potato
    Formula E fired up again this weekend in Saudi Arabia. The biggest news was Porsche joining the series, and they did well in the first race they entered.

In news separate from Formula E, Volkswagen has announced that they're fully withdrawing from all non-electric motorsport starting next year. So they're no longer in World Rally Cross, and they will wrap up production of the TCR Golf GTi.

Also, this is friggin cute and I really need to own one.

WRC is in shambles (Citroen just abandoned it out of the blue), TCR is losing appeal even if it just started gaining steam, F1 is the usual quarrelling box, LeMans and WEC are the usual closed garden... meanwhile manufacturers are jumping into Formula E, along with some specialized brands (Venturi and so on).
    Let's see how long some people will keep being blind (audience and some manufacturers - i.e.: FCA).
    This is not to say I particularly like Formula E, since I don't like the too Nascar-ish spectacular way of presenting a race series and I loathe city circuits, but a pattern is emerging...

Yes, it's similar to pro wrestling. Lots of people and sponsors like it. Doesn't mean that I should.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Manufacturers are jumping on Formula E because it costs a fraction of what any other World Championship costs, so it's an easy sell.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Plus having direct involvement with electric car racing may enhance their road car electric presence either by marketing or actual technology