Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula E - The New Hotness?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post

Speaking of which, I don’t think *anyone* watches FE. All of it would be heavily subsidised through sponsorship money. They don’t have a TV deal to pay for it all like F1 and MotoGP et al do, nor do they have a marquee race to hang the brand from, like the Indy 500 or 24 Hours of Le Mans. With everyone having the same chassis, the only thing manufacturers need to to do bring a team and their power units, and I think everything else is paid for by whoever is bankrolling the series.

I’ve seen lots of international series come and go because the money wasn’t there (anyone else remember A1GP?), but I think FE is different because there’s a strong forward-looking concept behind it. It might be viable to the series promoters because it could end up being sold to F1 once it starts becoming a self-sustaining series with its own fanbase. If the technology is robust enough, it could easily be absorbed into F1 or sportscar racing. I’m sure everyone out there would love to be able to attract that many manufacturers into their own series.
    Fwd looking/thinking... yes, but I can' help but thinking these races will be boring.

Forget about watching them on TV for now... at least to me, one of the main reasons of attending these auto racing events or monster trucks or air shows or rocket launches is the thunderous sounds!!!

EVs simply can't offer that.

Even when we're technically more capable in the future... can you imagine 33 cars speeding in excess of 200mph around Indianapolis Speedway quietly? With only wind noise, tire noises and perhaps some wheezing sound of electric motors?

That's gotta be some sort of damper on a supposedly festive spirit around the track, right?

Anyway, never been to an FE event so maybe I'm wrong. I love EVs, but I'm not sure how I'd love FE.

The only competition currently peaked my interest is the battle between Model S and Taycan on Nurburging.

Maybe NASCAR should invite Tesla and Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Plus having direct involvement with electric car racing may enhance their road car electric presence either by marketing or actual technology
    This times a million. And I'm surprised Tesla hasn't gotten involved for that reason. Maybe when they make a touring car style series.

And I agree with others. The noise of an ICE race car is the visceral effect that EV cannot provide.
    Last edited by Phil_SS; November 25th, 2019 at 09:57 AM.

Elon Musk just doesn't have extra cash to go racing... plus, there just aren't that many competition!

Porsche Taycan is probably the only worthy competitor?

I think Faraday Future sponsored a team in FE, but what would be the point of doing that if you can't even build your road car to sell? I've also heard although those FE cars have Faraday Future logo, the company didn't really fully fulfill their sponsorship obligations...

Anyway, we need more companies getting into the EV business, then we can probably have more viable racing series later on.

I think the main purpose for FE for now is probably to just keep some fairly talented drivers employed!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I actually like the high pitched whine of the Formula E cars

Maybe they can partner with speaker companies to design the most light weight and compact speakers with the lowest possible energy consumption, yet with the loudest sounds... to amplify the EV motor humming...

Maybe make it sound like TRON bikes or something...

The sound of a racecar is great, but unless you are at the track its not that impressive on tv.
    You could watch F1 on tv for years, but unless you heard them live you cant understand just how loud they are (a lot less now that say 15 years ago, but still loud)

So I dont think tv viewers, which is where the money is, would really care that much about the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Keith watches it.

I have watched a few highlight packages on YouTube, I don't know if I've ever watched a whole broadcast.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Here's a nice video of this season's FE cars in testing. It's good to hear them with raw audio, so you can compare them to vacuum cleaners and electric forklifts

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I like the sound....get TIE Fighter or TRON Lightcycle vibes

Junior Potato
    They look hot too. The styling is among the best in open wheel design that I’ve ever seen.