Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bathurst 12 hour

Junior Potato
    Fucking A. They’re all cunts to a man.

You should hear the opinions from the Philip Island locals who have to endure the bogans when the V8s race, and how much they love the MotoGP fans by comparison.

And it’s pretty crazy if the motorbike fans make you look bad!

MotoGP races are a different breed though.

I've been to several and almost never any hooligans acting out.

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but what sort of comments were they making?

It'd be interesting to throw the Supercars into the mix in a race like that - they must be quicker on the straights so if they can get in front then it's very hard to pass over the mountain.

The 12 hour cars are faster - their qualifiying (shotout) laps were low 2:03s, winner was 2:02.9
    The supercars were 2:04 to low 2:05.

The top 8 class A 12 hour cars were all faster than the best supercar time...

oh just looked up 2018 supercars race laps - from natsoft site (http://racing.natsoft.com.au)
    set a new race lap record 2:06.1

12 hour - fastest lap was 2:03.5, had several others in the 2:03, most of the rest 2:04.
    The first car to finish and not have a fastest lap under 2:06 was a class B Porsche GT3 Cup
    Seems they can get closer to qualifying times in the race (within 1s) while the supercars are 2s off.

the Supercars might be a bit quicker on the straights, but the winning Porsche showed that doesnt help.
    twitter vid - click!
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1091949103569723393
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1091946787961659394

Most of the comments were about Van Gisbergen and how he collapsed after the race, due to 70 degree cabin temps, no cool suit and cramp due to using both feet on the brakes to get the car to stop.
    Things like, pussy should harden up etc.
    Greatest of all, something about long haul truck drivers do more distance than they do in the race...Like really?? Great comparison.
    Also some about the Porsche passing too aggressively etc.
    I swear V8 fans just spout whatever first comes into their tiny brains.

I remember when that happened to the Corvette crew back in the early 2000s. I forgot who was driving, but it was Sebring, and the cabin temps were also around 160.

Those temperatures are not safe for the human body for very long.

Ah I thought it was slightly closer than that between those cars.

Junior Potato
    I think 2-3 seconds a lap between very different categories of car is not bad. And while the GT3 cars are very carefully BoP’d, the Supercars have been getting gradually faster over the last decade.

But hey, I’d love to see the Supercars dropped entirely and replaced by a GT3 national category. Imagine if all the big local teams and drivers (and sponsorship money) was put to work in GT3. Overnight it would go from being the semi-professional gentleman driver series we have now, to become the strongest GT3 series in the world.

The wrinkle is the Bathurst 1000 though. It’s the ‘great race’ but only takes 6hrs to cover the 161 laps. Not quite the same league as the 12hr…

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    But hey, I’d love to see the Supercars dropped entirely and replaced by a GT3 national category. Imagine if all the big local teams and drivers (and sponsorship money) was put to work in GT3. Overnight it would go from being the semi-professional gentleman driver series we have now, to become the strongest GT3 series in the world.
    I suspect that's exactly what Supercars' fans would NOT want.