Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apex Legends

Apex Legends

Well you knew this was coming.

Respawn's incredible new take on BR. It's fresh, free, and they somehow kept this a secret for two years. Takes places in the Titanfall world, but you don't play as pilots. So no Titans, no wall running, no double jumping. Instead you have an almost, hero-based shooter where each character has a passive ability, a special, and an ultimate. It has a BlackOp4 MP / Overwatch-y vibe.

Yes, there are microtransactions, but they seem purely aesthetic. I played just a few hours yesterday and unlocked quite a few skins.

I like it more than I expected to, especially as they force you in to teams of 3. If you don't have a mic or don't wanna talk, the ping system they created is genius. You can ping loot, places to go, enemies, items you still need, places you want to defend, etc. It's a very smart system. The contextual character conversations also tell you what's going on ("that's all of them", "we're in the next circle already", etc). It's pretty impressive in action.

Junior Potato
    The trailer looks fantastic.

But it’s a FTP battle royale shooter published by EA. I think I’ll pass.

One thing I will note, however; it’s received a surprisingly warm reception from Games media and players, despite not having what made Titanfall great.

Somewhere, tonight, Cliff Blezinski lays in a bed unable to sleep, wondering where it all went so wrong.

I took a look at it and saw that it was a "Battle Royale" game. I thought, "Oh great, a Fortnite rip." I passed on it.

I mean, that's a pretty short-sighted classification, but it's also expected. But to each their own! It certainly has a style that is a bit more goofy... almost Overwatch/SSX-y. It is most certainly nothing like Fortnite in terms of gameplay or any other BR for that matter. They did a pretty good job of making this game it's own thing.

I think I still ultimately have a preference towards the OG BR - PUBG. But this game is surprisingly fun as hell.

And yes, EA blows, but it's pretty interesting (and also kind of funny) how many times Respawn have declared that all major decisions regarding this game were NOT made by EA. So there's that!

The game’s description declared that classification.

I did not enjoy Overwatch either. :shrug:

Tried it, nice graphics and feel, devoid of the boring stupid parkour crap of Titanfall 2, but... as boring as watching paint dry: sorry but I'm in Cam league, battle royale usual fare, not interested at all.
    Now, if they would do a TF3 with single player campaign and without parkour nintendo-platform-game-like shite, I would be all over it.
    Meanwhile... uninstalled it.

EDIT: I got to say this looks a bit less stupid than Overwatch, but still a br game. Not interested.
    Last edited by Blerpa; February 6th, 2019 at 12:49 PM.

Junior Potato
    I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seen who doesn’t like the wall running in TF2!

Yeah, it's still a BR game. If you don't like BR, well then don't consider it.
    But for what it is, Respawn have made some amazing adjustments to turn it in to it's own thing. It's pretty special. "Looks like fornite fuck that" is slighting a hard-working developer that generally does things the right way and created something unique.

I'm sooo on the fence about the wall-running and double-jumping. I enjoy(ed) it, but I was never very good at it. If those mechanics were in this game I'd be so fucked

Jeez, do you work for the company or something? I am not slighting anyone.

My brother does not like racing games. I'm not going to imply that he is insulting Turn 10 just because I play Forza and he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seen who doesn’t like the wall running in TF2!
    LOL
    I just don't like any platform game elements in FPS.
    Also, Respawn offer with AL seems decent in terms of graphics, setting and controls, but at the core it is a BR game. I agree with Cam, no slighting: we are just not interested at all.