Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX launching crew capsule to ISS for the 1st time in about 5 minutes!

SpaceX launching crew capsule to ISS for the 1st time in about 5 minutes!

Success! Flawless! Awesome!

On its way to the space station now...

I missed this because 3 am.

Your 3am is only midnight for us. Crew capsule is on its way to dock with ISS Sunday 6am your time... I guess I’ll be missing that event because of freaking 3am our time...

Exciting... but still only a step on the path to launching a person. That will be ground breaking, for both private launch of person and the US back to capability to put a person in orbit.

I went for a ride up to Ft. Pierce for the previous launch a couple weeks ago with the moon lander. There's a long stretch of the barrier island in this part of Florida with nothing but a road and beach access. So I pulled off near one and watched the launch from about 80 miles south of the launch site. Not that close, but close enough to see something.

First time I even did that. It was pitch black, since it's away from all the light pollution, but it was pretty hazy on the beach. So the first part of the launch was pretty much a big orange blur, but once it got up a ways you could see a lot more definition.

The coolest part though, was right as the first stage was ending, a giant orange moon started rising over the horizon, just under the rocket. It was awesome.

I hope to ride or drive up for future launches and actually get close.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I hope to ride or drive up for future launches and actually get close.
    Im keen to see a launch - can I call shotgun for the drive?

You lucky dude! I’ve made attempts to see launches in Florida and in California, but those launches always got delayed beyond my stay... sigh...

Clear or blurry, I most look forward to ‘feeling’ the sound of those rockets. F1 or jet afterburner sounds probably are nothing compared to rockets!

Thanks to spaceX glamourizing rockets, just as what Tesla did to the EV industry, looks like commercial space travel just might become possible within our lifetime!

Btw, now that it has succeeded in docking with the station, we only need it to survive reentry and landing. I think Elon is most worried about surviving reentry... fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 3rd, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Yeah we nearly saw a Space X launch in Florida a couple years back, but think it got delayed to the Monday when we'd be in New York.

Man, if we launch people into space. I MUST be there.