Thread: Who to report an online classifieds scam to?

Who to report an online classifieds scam to?

Someone just tried to scam me out of a $2000 camera on facebook marketplace. Frustratingly, and in true facebook fashion, they don't appear to have a way to report this on fb.

The person doing it seems to have a legit and flushed out fb account. The messages are also very well written. I think this might actually be a legit person on facebook trying to scam me.

Which authorities could I report them to who would actually care and arrest them for it? FTC? Local police department? They are in a different state, so I believe this would qualify as a federal crime.

Junior Potato
    Cops in your state first, then cops in their state, then report their profile on Facebook.

Keep detailed records of any evidence you have.

Don’t count on them doing anything immediately.

That's the BS thing, there is NO WAY to report their profile to facebook, at least with any kind of comment or context. All I could do would be to call it a "fake profile" which I'm sure they would just review and find nothing wrong with, because it does appear to be real.

You should be able to report it as abuse, right?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Wayne County Sheriff, internet crime unit, FBI-IC3?
    acket.

Junior Potato
    Maybe Facebook help desk (or whatever they have that passes for such) and ask them how to properly report.

I know the desire for revenge is strong, but if this was unsuccessful attempt, why not just let it go?

It's a lesson I keep trying to teach myself. I try to remind myself not to sweat the small stuff, life is short, to use my remaining time wisely, and things of that nature. It doesn't always work, but it might keep me out of trouble one day.

See also the story of the two monks. There are many versions of that story on the web.

The person doing it seems to have a legit and flushed out fb account.
    I don't know Facebook, but might it be a legit account that someone hacked into, and now they're trying to scam anyone and everyone? Just a guess...

Administrator
    Another common thing is people "duping" accounts. Basically create a Facebook account with the same name as someone else, same profile picture, etc, then use it to send messages to that user's friends to try to trick them into doing things like sending financial help. It's not really "hacking" per se, and the person who's been duped may have no idea it's happened at all until one of their friends is like "why did you send me another friend request, I thought we were already friends?"

That's a bit like email fraud, which nowadays can be quite sophisticated, except with social media accounts.

Well, I figured out that it was likely just someone that had hacked and taken over that person's account, so in the end no reason to report that person to anyone. The grammar and structure of the messages went downhill after a while. I did find a place to report the conversation. It was pretty buried, in typical facebook fashion. Eventually the account went dark, and the conversation was removed because it said the "account requires verification."