Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: History

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Ah, no wonder you are both upstanding people of fine taste and breeding!
    Aww, thank you. As a side note, my thesis is actually on women doctors, nurses, and medicine of the Civil War. Dorothea Dix was an incredible woman during that time and Nathan gifted me a letter she wrote as a graduate present. If any of you are interested in learning something new, she's a great person.

So how do you pronounce her name? Ms. Dee or Ms. Dicks?

Ms. Disc.

Things sure looked differently back then..., but then again still very familiar... they had planes and electricity already...

Wonder what the world will look like in another 100 years...

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Yep, cars, telephone communication, electricity, movies were all around by then.

Also per Wikipedia:

"On 31 August 1920 the first known radio news program was broadcast by station 8MK, the unlicensed predecessor of WWJ (AM) in Detroit, Michigan"

So radio was about to become popular as well.

Amusingly History/Economic History grad here.

Though actually Classics is my vibe now. Read my way through Mary Beard's classics works, plus some of the writings from within the era, and watch every Roman history doco I can get my hands on

The Egtved Girl 43:40
    (hair)

Here's something I stumbled upon: the story of ten cent beer night in Cleveland in 1974.

On the one hand, it's sad and pathetic, but I think some of it is pretty funny if you're stuck in an office doing data entry and need something to watch and/or listen to. Running time 7:57. Audio only is fine. The pictures aren't essential to the story.

Administrator
    I haven't watched it yet, but that reminds me of going to a Madison Blackwolf game in Wisconsin. They had one hitter from the other team designated as the "beer batter", and if he struck out, I think it was half price beer for the rest of the inning or something like that. It seemed like a bad idea when I realized there were like 8 year old kids in the stands chanting "cheap beer, cheap beer!"