Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: History

Funny thing about that Cleveland disaster is a few weeks before the Indians and Rangers had gotten into a brawl during a game in Arlington. This night both teams armed themselves with bats and came to each other's aid. The beer in question is Carling Black Label. Not even sure if it's brewed any more.

I remember my Dad and the neighbors drinking Carling Black Label when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    It seemed like a bad idea when I realized there were like 8 year old kids in the stands chanting "cheap beer, cheap beer!"

Kids know more than adults give them credit for. I'm learning that with my own kids all the time.

I remember a fifty cent beer night in the early '80s at a minor league game that I went to with my Dad, his friend, and his friend's son who was a year older than me. I was maybe twelve or thirteen and remember a bunch of drunk people but nothing bad happened (that I knew of). I might not have remembered the part about the cheap beer except my father still apologizes to me for driving home that night when we get to laughing about the good ol' days. At that game, they also brought a long, narrow trough filled with ice cream for kids to run down to the field and eat between innings. I remember not going, thinking I was too old for such childish foolishness and also that it was pretty gross. The other kid went down and got his fill.

Times have changed at ball parks. We got to go to a Colorado Rockies game last summer and I was telling my kids they'd see all kinds of cool stuff on the sidelines in between innings, like mascots dressed in silly costumes driving ATVs around, bringing people down from the stands for contests like foot races against the mascot, trying to throw balls into far-away barrels to win prizes, and whatever other foolishness to keep the crowd entertained while the pitcher throws a few warm-up pitches and the team that had been at bat takes the field again.

Nah. They did very little of that, and what they did was all on the jumbo-tron screen, such as going into the stands with a video cameras and microphones and asking fans trivia questions about the team, baseball in general, and whatever else. The fans cheered when they answered correctly and enthusiastically booed when they didn't. I mean, that's okay, of course, but very different from the sideshow antics in the days of plain old scoreboards in the outfield instead of today's technology.

You guys are surely sick of me mentioning the southern rock/alt-country/Americana band Drive-By Truckers, but I gotta say, the story of ten cent beer night sounds just like the kind of historical tales the DBT tell in some of their songs - lots of getting drunk and raising hell for sure, but with a level of wit and intelligence far above the typical "rock and roll all night and party ever-y day". While listening to that video, I couldn't help but think that my favorite band could (and should!) write a funny and sad song about what went down that night in Cleveland in 1974.

"Stories of corruption, crime and killing, yes it's true
    Greed and fixed elections, guns and drugs and whores and booze"

- lyrics from a DBT song that describe much of their work
    Last edited by George; June 19th, 2019 at 08:05 AM.

Administrator
    I think my Madison story was maybe twenty years ago or so, so not sure how much things have changed, but at least the time going to a minor league game was *way* different (and better) than going to a major league one. I wonder how much they're still like that? Makes me sad there isn't really a lot in the way of minor league stuff near where I live.

Here's something interesting. (No, really!)

https://www.historyonthenet.com/presidential-fight-club

I haven't listened to any of the podcasts yet, but I'm quite amused reading the Special Abilities for each president. Some are funny but some sound like men I would not want to tangle with.

The unheard story of David and Goliath

Administrator
    Without thinking too much, I'm going Taft.

It's really gotta be Lincoln or TDR, since they were both actual boxers/wrestlers.

I tend towards science - but find it interesting when science and history overlap.

The east coast of Australia was found due to a voyage thats primary purpose was to observe the transit of Venus.
    In 1769 Captain Cook went to Tahiti, taking an astronomer, to observe the transit of Venus across the sun. By having several groups do this in different locations the result could be used to determine the distance to the Sun. This distance was important because we could observe distances to planets only in terms of the distance to the sun (AU). But there was no easy way to get this distance itself.

Anyway... after doing this he opened his sealed instructions that basically said "go west and explore the east coast of Australia", so he did this, arriving in early 1770. After that he continued west and circumnavigated the globe (yes the conspiracy against flat earth was already established!)
    While he was far from the first European to come to Australia, the others had only been along the west and north coasts (and Tasman had gone across the bottom, finding Tasmania but without knowing it was an island), he went up the east coast, which is now where most of our population lives.

This lead to the British settlement of Australia only a few years later in 1788. But that also had another tie in with what seemed unrelated history and some little trouble in some British colonies!

then spiders, snakes, and croc's killed everyone and everything

Quoting from some off-topic conversation in the Gun Control thread:

Quote Originally Posted by George
    I was also reminded of a Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast called Painfotainment (free download), which talks about the mob mentality and the desire for gruesome, public punishments and executions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    Phew, it's gonna take some work to get used to that guy's voice. I ended up repeatedly tuning out, which you'd think would be hard to do when describing horrible torture.
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I get the impression that Dan says what comes to mind, rather than reading from a script. He's verbose, talks fast, and adds a lot of side stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Hah, if anything, I thought he talked slowly and often liked to repeat himself about how extreme he likes his history.
    I stumbled upon some guy doing an imitation of Dan. I think we're both right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdjBV8-j...=11bxrl5vfzi2c

I don't know how to make that video appear here like we do with YouTube videos.