Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: History

History

This forums needs a History thread to go along with Science, Religion, Politics, Travel, and similar catch-all discussions here.

I recently discovered the podcast Hardcore History by Dan Carlin (www.dancarlin.com). I've listened to several of his free podcasts so far and am considering buying more. I've listened to hardly anything else in the last few weeks, so that's why history is on my mind lately.

I also love Simon Winchester's books (and author-read audiobooks). I know we've discussed his work before, but here's another plug for the man who inspired me to use the word sesquipedalian in a business email once (so far): www.simonwinchester.com

Let the history discussion begin.
    Last edited by George; April 10th, 2019 at 07:22 AM.

Administrator
    History? I'm past that.

Zing!

Tough room today.

Did I really write "This forums"?

I'll show myself out...

It's all HisStory. Who is 'His'? Surely feminists would complain about that... why not Herstory?

In all seriousness, I've grown to appreciate history more as I get older. Back when I was in school, it was my least favorite subject.

Administrator
    Same, it's always been my worst subject but I find myself more interested now than I used to be. I think it's probably related to watching Michele go through the process of figuring out her ancestry.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Right now I'm reading up on the History of Cultural Industries, trying to understand how we went from "the English are not gifted artistically, they are not as musical as the Germans or Italians [...]" to the British invasion.

*George Orwell, c. 1940
    acket.

Studied the subject for 3 years at University. Was and is great.

Will it be great again?

Once only just recently adopted noble man found him self in a very bad situation in Tessalonica.

His father and his army was out when Hungarians sieged the city.
    Young man had only few spear militia units and his own guards when Hungarian prince came with full army.
    He and his guards knew that this is the time when heroes are made and their songs written.

Luckily hungarians didn't have siege engines with them and so had to build ones one site.
    Noble mans father got the message and was hurrying back so Hungarians had no time to waste since they couldn't match coming venetian heavy infantry.

So minimal siege machines where present when hungarians attacked and that was the time for young man and his personal guards.
    When hungarians came they rushed out the gate right away and rammed thru the first and only ladder carrier group and distracted them away from their ladders.
    Then they turned around towards the ram and its pushers, they were also distracted and were now chasing them with the earlier unit.
    After second turn around the even smaller group of knights were charging towards the siege tower pushers but behind those were first wall attacking foot knights that didn't just look around.
    The bodyguard horses could pull out once but siege tower was still moving, young mans friend beside him said that he can hear a cavalry thunder around the walls, fathers men are near.
    That was the time for the final push, to stop the siege tower or die trying, and so they charged, seeing how their spear men on the wall were fighting up climbing hungarians.

Young man and his friends didn't last long against hungarian foot knights and finally he couldn't control his horse anymore and just tried to stay on the saddle.
    Then something thumped back of his head hard and everyting started fading away and sowly all was quiet and calm, finally freeing darkness came and pain was gone.

The young man didn't die.
    He is a hero now, like is his friend, who is the other one of them who survived.
    They were told that right behind their last charge came his fathers light cavalry and charged thru climbing hungarians, who were many and cavalry casualties were heavy but distraction was enough that more defending forces had time to pack against climbers.
    And the siege tower was not moving, nor was the ram.
    Then fathers heavy cavalry reached princes standing bodyguard from the side and when they were turned towards their attackes and be stuck there the light cavalry left overs charged teir back and one of our man punched straight thru the prince and the whole unit fled.
    Others saw that and their morale was gone in no time.
    So we were finally slauthering them thru the fields.
    Though our heavy infantry never reached that part.
    And father him self rushed thru the side gate and straight to the city central to just find out there are nobody there, the main gate holded.
    Note that the prince didn't die there but his ransom was rejected so he was promptly executed.

It's a game.