Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Forza Motorsport (Spring 2023)

Forza Motorsport (Spring 2023)

- "48 times" more complex physics (whatever that means)
    - Full day-night time transitions with resulting track temperature drops and changing environmental lighting
    - Ray tracing on, like, everything (they showed reflections of other cars in on bodywork)
    - Fuel and tire management in the pits, including multiple tire compounds
    - Time and weather options are at every track

Edit: Here's the original thread about this game that I made last year and didn't find before making this thread: http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?...rza-Motorsport
    Last edited by Kchrpm; June 16th, 2022 at 08:49 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Pit stops with tyre compounds?

Well, they’re already ahead of Project Cars 3.

So far it seems they could be already ahead of Gran Turismo 7... not that it would be anything more than a minor feat.

Administrator
    I'm guessing the "48x more fidelity" for the physics is likely how often the physics calculations are run. I feel like that's been a selling point for a while now for racing sims/games, but if you're just sorta fudging the physics (as most do with complex things like tire models), it just means you're fudging it more often.

Mentioned on a chat, they still seemed to be focused on graphics, graphics, graphics, oh physics update, check out the trees, rocks etc.
    It's a racing game, not a tree/river/rock watching sim.

Administrator
    Yeah, so far I'm unimpressed. I mean, it looks fine, and it might be because GT7 has forsaken me, but this is probably the first "this looks amazing" racing sim(ish) reveal that I just feel "meh" about.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm guessing the "48x more fidelity" for the physics is likely how often the physics calculations are run. I feel like that's been a selling point for a while now for racing sims/games, but if you're just sorta fudging the physics (as most do with complex things like tire models), it just means you're fudging it more often.
    Meanwhile iRacing is pottering along with physics that run at 60 Hz and doing just fine.

48 is 8 multiplied by 6. The “48x more fidelity” could be to do with the number of physics parameters, or the bitrate in which they’re processed by the CPU, or the incremental steps present in each measurement.

Who knows? It’s all guff unless you’re a programmer, a professional racer, or are magically able to extract 0.001 out of each corner better than the 2nd fastest guy.

Administrator
    Yeah, I thought about maybe the size of the data types or something, but I'd assume everything's been working with a word size of 8 bytes for the past 10+ years, so I'd be either surprised that they've figured out a way to do 384 byte word sizes or that up until this point, they'd been doing 1.3 byte word sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobbo NZ View Post
    Mentioned on a chat, they still seemed to be focused on graphics, graphics, graphics, oh physics update, check out the trees, rocks etc.
    It's a racing game, not a tree/river/rock watching sim.
    For the nature of this event, it makes sense. If you look at all of the other game trailers and discussions, it was effectively the same thing. The fact we got talks about dynamic weather and time/lighting, plus fuel and tire management in the pits, are already exciting additions for the community even if the physics are effectively the same as FM7, and they have talked previously about improvements to the way they simulate tires.

Actually, the change in tire model might be the 48x thing they were talking about...

Either way, they have a Forza Monthly presentation this week where they're going to talk about it more.

I forgot there was already an FM thread that I made! Quoting myself:

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm
    Watching the video now and taking any other minor notes:
    - The physics changes between 7 and 8 are bigger than the changes between 4 and 7.
    - The 8 points of tire contacts will refresh at 360 hz, instead of 60 hz for the one point previously
    - No mention of deformation to go with all this tire contact patch talk
    - Curbs can be approached with confidence because of the improvement in tire model and better road/curb fidelity
    - Really wants to keep hitting on it being Forza Motorsport, not Forza Motorsport 8, but the interviewer wants to keep saying "it's an evolution"
    - Hard, medium, and soft compounds currently, and want to add more in the future
    - Goal with tire compounds is deepening strategy, brings up F1
    - "A bunch of environmental factors that will change gameplay and really make each lap feel different": track temperature affects tire pressure, grip, and wear; time of day and weather changes
    - Playtests are very focused so they can get specific details, I think the one they've done so far has been multiplayer only
    - There will be another update after the summer playtest, they will get larger as they continue
    Last edited by Kchrpm; June 16th, 2022 at 08:42 AM.