Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5

Get that weak shit off my track

My wife tracked down a PS5 via Walmart Plus back in May as a birthday gift for me. Unfortunately, after finishing up Ghost of Tsushima on PS4, from June in to July I had a stretch where I worked 25 out of 27 days due to forced overtime. Because of that, the only games I've played have been the Astro's Playroom game/tech demo, and I've started playing the PS5 version of the 2018 God of War.

In storage weirdness, I bought an Adata XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2 TB, which was well reviewed and is advertised as PS5 compatible. However, my PS5 refused to recognize it. It worked fine in an external housing when plugged in to my laptop, and didn't need a firmware update, so I returned it.

I bought a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, because it was on sale during Amazon Prime Day. The PS5 detected and formatted it right away, getting 6511 MB/s of the rated "up to 7,000 MB/s" read speed. Hell if I know why my PS5 detected 1 PCIe Gen 4 SSD and not another, but at least this one works, and my PS5 doesn't have a bum expansion port.

Junior Potato
    Unrelated to PlayStation 5, but posting this here because believe it or not I couldn't find a PS4 thread...

But, I bought a PS4 and a Kambrook tower fan on the same day in the same transaction about 8 or 9 years ago, circa 2014.

That fan got dragged from my bedroom to the loungeroom and back again every freakin day in summer for 7 or more years, until I moved to a house with stairs in-between my room and the lounge, facilitating the purchase of a second Kambrook tower fan so that they each had their own spot.

Well, this morning that original tower fan would not switch on. I had it on all day yesterday allowing for some air to circulate for the cats while I was at work. The digital readout display works like there's nothing wrong, but the blade rotates ever so slowly like the bearing has gone kaput or something. Dead... and replaced already this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the PS4 I bought that day got some good use. I replaced it with a PS4 Pro in 2018 and sold the old one along with a brand new controller to my brother, who continues to use it every day for hours on end. It's still going strong.

As they used to say, it was...

AWESOME VALUE

HI 5 BRAH

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    So, long story short, wifey really wanted a PS5 and i was very underwhelmed with my PS4 Pro, and EB Games were doing a really good trade in deal, and wifey had EB Games credit to use, plus some other gifted money (possibly gift cards given to her by her boss at work) and other EB member benefits.

Rewind to December (?) last year.

PS5 with God Of War bundle was going for $1,099 NZD ($682 USD) or something.
    If you traded in a PS4 or PS4 Pro, a PS4 game plus a controller then the price went down to $500-600 (?) depending on game/PS4 or PS4 Pro etc. So i got rid of my Pro.
    Then she added her gift cards (?).
    Then got the EB games member discounts.

Then we walked out of the store with a $300-$310 NZD ($186-$192 USD) or so PS5.

Quickly sold the digital code for God Of War (never played those games as neither of us find them interesting) and bought Horizon Forbidden West.

I like the menu system on the PS5, and how you can still play PS4 games.

So far the only PS5 game i've played is GT7 (because i got the anniversary edition for PS4, which came with the physical PS5 copy too) and really love the stupidly short loading times. Other than that though i didn't really notice much of a visual jump from the PS4 version, it took a comparison video of PS4 GT7 and PS5 GT7 to actually see the differences.

I'm still working my way through my way-too-many PS4 game collection before i try any PS5 games. Because in the past when we've jumped straight to a new console, we've never gone back to the previous one to start/finish the games still to get through.

But yeah, never buying an Xbox or Playstation .5 again (aka PS4 Pro, Xbox One X) because it seemed like a lot of money for not much difference. We'll just stick to the big main releases. But at this stage i've got no plans to buy the new Xbox Series X or S, as i barely play the One X as it is.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; April 15th, 2023 at 01:32 AM.

I was pretty happy with my decision skip the mid cycle upgrade for the last gen and jump straight to the new gen. The difference in graphics and load time was enough to make my current games feel new. Similarly, I'm not too interested in getting a Switch OLED while my original is still going strong.

Junior Potato
    I’m completely uninterested in current Gen gaming consoles, apart from Switch.

I may have a Zelda OLED switch on pre-order… or I may cancel it. I must have a mark on my head because I think Nintendo knows I am a complete sucker for Zelda themed hardware.

But anyway, the only thing that would've potentially drawn me to the latest consoles was GT7, but they completely fucked that ball in the arse, or VR, and the price of asking for that rivals a decently loaded PC.

So no. Not awesome value anymore. Sorry YW. ONLY PS4 WAS AWESOME VALUE.

I find myself in a similar situation as RWA.
    Last console I owned AND PLAYED WITH was the original fat first gen PS2: I've an Xbox One S bought for 28 euro (my bank did gift me a 200 euro amazon card back then) and I've used mainly as an UHD BD Player and multimedia machine (before I got the Nvidia Shield TV Pro).
    I have not looked in console in years.
    I was curious about the PS5 because of GT7 but that game seems like a sterile time pit made for grinding, so I rather not spend 650 euro for a single game.
    Thankfully I'm not into Nintendo stuff at all.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    a sterile pit made for grinding
    Actually that sounds pretty nice.

NO MORE HI 5 BRAH