Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5

Junior Potato

PlayStation 5

The first official details have come out, and while this is not complete, it’s also not rumour, so I think it deserves a thread.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tion-5-details

8K support, SSD, 3rd gen Ryzen CPU and Navi GPU, plus ray tracing!

I called it

Also full back compact with PS4 and PSVR.

Let the circus begin!

I was discussing this elsewhere but I want to note my skepticism of the backwards compatibility. I have seen this show before...

Junior Potato
    It’s early days so you never know what might happen. It would be very much in their interests to support it, because new adopters can play their existing library and it’ll possibly happen at better-than-PS4 Pro resolutions and frame rates, while easing the pressure to have a slate of new titles ready to go.

Administrator
    From what I understand, the PS4 and XBox One were basically just PCs under the hood, so it definitely improves the backwards-compatibility chances. It's not like the PS3 with its weird-ass architecture.

Junior Potato
    Yep. But being weird-ass is not the reason the PS3 wasn't backwards compatible with PS4.

If we take just the PlayStation ecosystem as an example, PS2 (the first ever backwards compatible machine) was BC (let's just call it BC) with PSOne because it contained PSOne hardware on the chipset.

Then PS3 was BC with PS2 and PSOne because it also contained that hardware, but only for the first iteration of the PS3, and it was a very expensive console so they took it out. From then-on the PS3 played old games via emulation.

PS4 plays old games, but only using the PS Now streaming service, or using downloaded emulation titles.

So BC is mostly a matter of having native hardware available to run the software. Each generation of PlayStation hardware has had a different underlying architecture running the system, and emulation is an expensive way, in technical terms, to run old software. Nintendo Wii U, for example, is a Power PC-based system that dates back to the early 2000s, but to run an emulator for it on a modern PC requires a lot of CPU horsepower.

Since the PS5 will be running a chipset that is very closely related to the PS4, then it will be super easy to have native emulation available, without even needing a bespoke CPU to run it.

LOL 8K.
    PS4 Pro can't even do *real* 4K at 30fps and Xbox One X does barely 4K 30fps.
    On PC, aside from the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, no video card can do 4K 60 fps with Ultra settings (with RTX off)...

Next gen consoles? At best upscaled 4K with stable 30 fps, maybe 60 fps.

Junior Potato
    Can’t argue with this. My expert guess is that 8K support actually means it’ll send an 8K signal to an 8K display, but it would either be a video stream or a very upscaled 4K game.

Kind of like how the rumoured Switch hardware update will support 4K video output.

Nobody has said 8K gaming as yet. And don't forget that Marc Cerny, the guy behind the PlayStation architecture, is a Sony employee, and Sony will be selling 8K TVs right around the time that PS5 will launch.

Administrator
    That kinda feels like a really long way of saying "backwards compatibility is easier now that the architecture has stabilized to a known standard instead of the weird-ass one they were using on the PS3", but whatevs.

I do not think it is in Sony's interest to allow people to play games they already own on the PS5 when they can resell those games to them using PSN. I'm happy to be wrong on this.

Also, is it only for optical media? This is the first generation that I threw in the towel and started playing digital download games. Might those transfer over? PS5 has an optical drive.

I’ll buy one. It will give me an excuse to finally buy a 4K TV.