Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    LOL 8K.
    PS4 Pro can't even do *real* 4K at 30fps and Xbox One X does barely 4K 30fps.
    On PC, aside from the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, no video card can do 4K 60 fps with Ultra settings (with RTX off)...

Next gen consoles? At best upscaled 4K with stable 30 fps, maybe 60 fps.
    Sure, aside from Forza Motorsport 7 which turns in a flawless 4K 60FPS on X. Point being there are a number of, mainly first party games, which do the exact opposite of what you claim. Besides which the PS4 Pro was never designed to run games at native 4K, which is why so much emphasis was put on chequerboard techniques and the extra hardware that was included on the GPU to help facilitate this.

Consoles are way more efficient than PC's and the hardware in PS5 will be a massive leap over that of the current base consoles. I foresee plenty of native 4K titles at a range of framerates, don't forget that the PS5 will almost certainly feature adaptive sync given it appears to have an HDMI 2.1 output for support of 8K. I'm sure there will be plenty of games which continue to use chequerboarding as well.

I'm most excited about compatability with PSVR and any future headsets they may bring out. Can you imagine an enhanced version of GT Sport with VR support throughout

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That kinda feels like a really long way of saying "backwards compatibility is easier now that the architecture has stabilized to a known standard instead of the weird-ass one they were using on the PS3", but whatevs.
    Maybe I just like typing.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I do not think it is in Sony's interest to allow people to play games they already own on the PS5 when they can resell those games to them using PSN. I'm happy to be wrong on this.

Also, is it only for optical media? This is the first generation that I threw in the towel and started playing digital download games. Might those transfer over? PS5 has an optical drive.
    I think it would be a really dumb move if Sony pushed BC but then didn’t allow you to use your PSN library.

And there have already been lots of cross-buy titles that are available on both PS3/4 and Vita that you pay for once, so it would make sense to continue this.

Administrator
    I somehow missed this:

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa
    On PC, aside from the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, no video card can do 4K 60 fps with Ultra settings (with RTX off)...
    My GTX 1080 runs quite a few games on their highest settings at 4K 60fps, so not sure where you're getting that from.

I think I’ll pass on this. Then again I was supposed to pass on the PS4.

Backwards compatibility only interests me if it goes as far back as PS2. I wish I had picked up the original PS3 that was BC with PS2 and PS1.

Will buy even though I only have a 1080 plasma from 2017 and a bunch of PS4 games that I've never played lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My GTX 1080 runs quite a few games on their highest settings at 4K 60fps, so not sure where you're getting that from.
    So then add the 1080 to the fold. It's like 3-4 videocards, pretty expensive ones, able to do that.
    In a market where a plethora of cards can do Full HD or 2K 60-75-120-144Hz with settings all up.

Consoles are optimized? Yes. Yet they either cannot do real 4K like an expensive PC videocard (obviously) or they make do with way less bells and whistles.
    PS5 price has been unveiled: 599 dollars. You can barely buy a 1080 videocard and a cheap case with that money.
    Last edited by Blerpa; April 18th, 2019 at 01:39 AM.

I'm glad that Sony and Microsoft will be embracing keeping a similar architecture across generations. Frankly I'd be down with iterative updates going forward period, updating a console every 3-4 years, and tell developers they have to support a minimum 2 "generations" upon game release would be a good way to go in my book, but I don't know if they'd do that considering "cloud gaming" is supposedly going to kill the console market.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    They'll probably start doing the smartphone thing and make the older consoles slower and more difficult to use with updates, so you have to buy a new one.

I mean, with every console generation, the improvements are more and more incremental and not revolutionary.