Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5

Junior Potato
    Judging by your game selection there, it appears you may not be interested in narrative game adventures!

The PS4 has been showered in them. At least one really good sort-driven 3rd person adventure game was released for each year the PS4 was available.

And that’s absolutely fine. PC racing sims is where it’s at for me right now too. I’ve got a huge backlog of *other* games to play but I just can’t bring myself to play them

To be fair, I've been in law school nearly the entire time I have owned a PS4. I select games that have a component wherein I can play for as little as 5 minutes if needed; Rocket League and racing games do that. I also have purchased various iterations of MLB The Show and the NHL series for the same reason. I graduate in about two months and take the bar in four months, then I'm freeeeeeeeeee!

RDR2 is the exception but even that can be played in a pretty granular fashion.

In four months you can then GET WASTED

Yaaassssssssssssssss!!!!

Been reading some somewhat confirmatory articles indicating that the PS5 will be backwards compatible will all previous PS games. If it’s true then it’s music to my ears. My best games are on the PS2.

Junior Potato
    As you've no doubt seen, the full spec sheet for PS5 has been unveiled.

Screenshot yoinked from here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ext-gen-vision

Big things to note:

CPU is AMD Zen 2, same as Xbox Series X, but with slightly lower clock speed.

GPU is AMD RDNA 2 with far less compute units (CUs) than Xbox but much higher clock speed. Full ray tracing support.

RAM is 16GB DDR6 - only an 8GB increase over PS4, but it is much faster. On PS4 the RAM had to hold data for ~30 seconds of gameplay, meaning it was taken up by lots of inefficient unused data. The new RAM architecture holds about 1 second of gameplay, greatly lowering useless 'static' data taking up RAM space and allowing faster throughput of events and world data. It now means that the faster SSD storage will hold long-term reserve data for longer gameplay.

Speaking of which, the new 825GB internal SSD will feature hierarchical game storage, meaning that game data will be shuffled to different areas on the drive according to priority. Sony wants to aim for 1 second cold boot-to-game loading time. Using PCIe Gen 4 it can send out 5.5GB/s of raw data, or 8GB/s of compressed data, with a bespoke hardware decompressor, allowing it to fill the RAM in less than 2 seconds.

Expanded storage is all about SSDs too. PS5 will possibly support M.2 NVMe SSDs over PCIe 4.0 (which aren't available yet and are sure to cost an arm and a leg when PS5 is released) to allow tranfer speeds as fast as the internal drive. External USB HDDs will still be supported, but my speculation is that you will need to copy a game over to fast storage before you will be able to boot it up.

Another main feature will be the audio processor, some next-level tech. Sony says that it alone is almost as powerful as the entire PS4 CPU. They want to provide hundreds of sound sources (presence) and track them precisely in space (locality) at extremely high quality. They gave the example of the sound of rain. Currently it is presented as an audio recording that is played back as a single layer in the audio track, but the PS5 will be able to simulate the sound and location of hundreds of individual rain drops falling around the player. Added to this, Sony is implementing a head-shape simulation algorithm called Head-related Transfer Function that accounts for the shape of an individual player's head and ears to provide a realistic sound scape. Think binaural audio (here's an example: https://youtu.be/rKUqe50DzSg?t=98 <-- watch this with headphones on) but turned up to eleventy and you won't need headphones to hear it.

As for backwards compatibility right now it will be compatible with "most" of the top PS4 games right away, with further game compatibility to be provided later on hopefully I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    As for backwards compatibility right now it will be compatible with "most" of the top PS4 games right away, with further game compatibility to be provided later on hopefully I don't know.
    I read it’ll be backwards compatible with 100 PS4 games. That’s it, nothing older.

Not interested. Not even a little bit.

Junior Potato
    I know. It sucks. I want BC too, and I'm dying to play PS2 favourite of mine Dropship at 1080p.

But that's just the way it is, and Microsoft have always been more ahead in this regard. What they're doing is simply phenomenal.

When this come out we can all GET WASTED

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I wonder what they mean by backwards compatible though.

That can mean many things...disc compatible (like the early PS3), software compatible, Playstation store "compatible" where you can just re-purchase older games?