Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure out 5.1 audio form PC

Junior Potato

Trying to figure out 5.1 audio form PC

So here's a weird problem for you.

I've built my new computer and I'm running sound out of it through HDMI, but it doesn't seem to be playing back surround sound audio from the rear speakers.

EXCEPT if I use the Windows 10 Netflix app - it outputs surround sound just fine. Weird huh?

My setup is thus:

HDMI direct from motherboard
    > Into Sony TV
    > From Sony TV via optical
    > Into Denon AV Amp

Things to note:
    - As I mentioned, 5.1 from the Netflix app works, while playback of video from VLC etc doesn't.
    - I could simplify the route by connecting the PC directly into the amp, however it doesn't accept a 4K signal, so I'd lose that (unless I upgrade my amp but that ain't happening... yet).
    - My TV is set up to pass 5.1 audio through to the amplifier. My PS4 is connected the same way and the audio is played back correctly.
    - If I right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray it always defaults back to stereo (Netflix still plays in 5.1).
    - And if I go to the configuration window in the advanced sounds settings to test the speakers (see example pic below) I can't get it to show the side pair instead of rear pair, and testing them just maps the audio for the center and rear channels through the front main speakers.

I think just about the only thing that could be causing the issue is that the PC can't 'see' the amplifier through the TV and therefore won't allow me to route 5.1 out of the HDMI cable (and I did test a direct PC to amp connection and it does work properly), but it's super puzzling because the Netflix app just does it anyway.

I'm hoping that when I get a GPU I can just use two HDMI cables and send the video and audio separately and solve my problem. But for now I wonder if anyone knows of a solution, or even a way to force 5.1 out of the motherboard and let the TV handle it?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    All I can say, this shit can be a bitch. I used to have a PC connected to the TV as a media server/cable box, it was hell getting it to work properly.

If the TV is a pass-through, it shouldn't really matter to the PC if it "sees" the amplifier or not. Have you tried a straight optical/Toslink to the receiver from the PC?

I remember reading somewhere about how some of the older Intel chipsets have problems outputting 5.1 via HDMI. Things like this: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/...language=en_US and https://community.roonlabs.com/t/5-1...ay-audio/19508

So, uh, buy a graphics card?

Can you output to the amp via HDMI? Maybe it is the two different connection types?

Does the TV have an audio option for surround sound? Maybe the ARC is sensing "stereo" if it's set up that way from the TV?

Junior Potato
    Yes to all the above.

Next time I’m fiddling with it I might see if there’s an app or a hack that forces 5.1 from the mobo HDMI output.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    While I don't know the technical difference, there is technically a difference between the HDMI standards (1.4/2.1/whatever nonsense), as well as HDCP. It may be an incompatible combination between PC - TV - Receiver?

Junior Potato
    Well, here’s a screenshot of my properties screen. You can see that it supports 6 channels, HDCP, and a bunch of formats.

The point is, Windows stubbornly refuses to allow me to chose 5.1, so I can’t play games or watch video in surround sound. Except for when I use the Netflix app where audio just comes out of my home theatre in the correct manner.

It’s both weird and frustrating.

Junior Potato
    Oh yeah and I am using an HDMI 2.0 cable, the one that came with my Xbox One S, so it definitely supports whatever data my PC can push into it.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Sounds like a Windows problem. Wished tsg was around to troubleshoot.
    acket.

What's the default device in audio control panel?