Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, Mutual Friends

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I will say though, that GT.com was the first forum i ever signed up to i believe and it's the only one i've frequented constantly, and still do. Every other forum has either died or i've grown tired of the community, but for some reason you bastards keep me coming back here.

Compared to other ones i'm on, this is still showing very good signs of life, so i'd say there's another 5-10 years or more in it yet. If not longer.

Before finding Kenji's board, I participated a bit in rec.games.video.sony.gran-turismo. Or something like that.

Surveying my old .newsrc files suggest I lie/misremember.
    Candidate newsgroups appear limited to...

rec.games.video.sony
    alt.games.sony-playstation
    alt.games.video.sony-playstation
    alt.games.video.sony-playstation2

And somewhat surprisingly
    rec.games.video.sony.playstation3

It seems unlikely there were ever newsgroups dedicated to Gran Turismo specifically.

But I do get bonus Sheldon points for typing rec.games.video.sony from memory/induction.
    Last edited by SportWagon; April 29th, 2019 at 10:01 AM.

^ Sheldon = Sheldon Brown? Nah, probably not...

I remember dialing into BBS services and later world wide web forums that had cascading threads, sort of like how craigslist forums still are - I don't read/participate there but have seen them. Each new post at the top pushed older posts off the bottom of the page into oblivion, I guess.

I used to subscribe to an email digest called The Bottom Line for bass players. It was great - a daily digest of what people in the hobby/profession were discussing, instead of having to wait a month for a magazine to appear on the newsstand! Amazing.

Then I found Kenji's GT board and some guitar forums about the same time. Never mind daily - this was in real time! I could visit many times per day and keep getting new information. Great stuff!

Well, as others have said, I've drifted away from older forums as my interests have changed over time and found new ones for new hobbies, but this has remained the only place where I run my mouth as if among friends and tell stories and so forth. I remember when this place moved so fast that a new Pit Stop topic in the morning might be buried on page two later in the day. Now, sometimes a whole day will go by with only a couple posts from people there. Oh well, it's still fun, and I still keep hanging around.

Thanks to Random and others before him for providing a location to find brief respites from the day-to-day office grind and to those who keep posting here.
    Last edited by George; April 29th, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

Sheldon Cooper.

I come here to learn how to save money on gas.

And yeah, I haven't played GT since GT4. Basically because I haven't bought a Playstation since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    I come here to learn how to save money on gas.

Dockonomics 101.

Strange things about GT and Playstations.

• My wife really encouraged me to get GT2 early, and even helped somewhat with me getting three different minor versions (involving a trip to some shipping place in a different town).
    • She told me about the first major PS2 price drop, and encouraged me to then buy one. I think I'd actually already bought GT3.
    • She didn't object when I bought GT4 soon after release. Actually I think even pre-ordered.

But since then there's been no support for the ideas of newer PlayStations or GT versions.

Twenty-four hour races might have something to do with it.

Well, I guess I did get two PSPs along the way. I showed her my recent toy PlayStation Classic too, but emphasized that it was cheap.
    Last edited by SportWagon; April 30th, 2019 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Also if it wasn’t for Facebook I’d hardly see a lot of the regulars anymore.

So it’s not just the forum keeping us together, it’s the meta-internet of social media that acts as a sort of glue.
    Yeah I keep in touch with a several people on Facebook that aren't here anymore, (including roofer). Plus people from other online places that no longer exist. I think once you get to know people long enough via the digital ether, then the actual medium doesn't matter. Not sure if what I said made any sense. People become intrinsically connected.

Kenji's old forum was the first real forum I ever joined. Been part of several others since. Comicbook Resources, Killer Movies and a few more. CBR and KMC were the only other ones I was really passionate about, but don't keep in touch with anyone in those communities. Don't even know anyone's real names. Only this one.

In the late-90's and early-00's I used to participate in ewrestling, aka efedding. Where you create your own wrestler and give him/her a personality by posting 'promos' in a guestbook. Your character would participate in fictional wrestling matches against other characters. The owner of the fed (the booker) would decide who wins in advance based on whose promo was better. That was known as a roleplaying fed. There were other feds that were simmed feds, where you give your character different skills and attributes and a simulator would decide the matches. Simmed feds were not very fair for people who were good roleplayers, as promos didn't have any impact on your chances to win. I much preferred the roleplaying feds, and started getting really good at it too. It helped getting my ass verbally kicked several times in this community (many years ago) by people like Nigel and Tofu R. Great material I could use on others in my promos. Got pretty good at it and won several 'titles' too. It was fun while it lasted, but honestly it was a great way to waste a LOT of time.

Anyway, the point of sharing all that is that I still keep in touch with a few people from those communities on FB. I don't know if people still do ewrestling these days. Have never bothered to look into it since I stopped. My interest in wrestling is at 0.0% these days.

Can't remember the last time I played any GT game. Probably a year ago. Probably GT6 against my son. Haven't touched it since. I likely won't buy any future GT games, mostly because I don't care for the car selection and especially the track selection.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Yeah I keep in touch with a several people on Facebook that aren't here anymore, (including roofer).
    Likewise, except that last part. He blocked me when I disagreed with his assertion that the US had not been hit by a major hurricane in the past 20 years. It still kinda bums me out that he did that, but what're you going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    but what're you going to do?
    I find the simplest thing is to just not engage in debate. I've unfollowed him and many others who post too much extreme political stuff. I didn't join Facebook to read people's political crap, (left or right of the spectrum). I have another friend on there who is our corporate lawyer, and a prominent divorce lawyer in the region. A really smart and successful guy. Recently he's been obsessed with Justin Trudeau, and wants him out. He posts so much anti-Trudeau crap from places like Ontario Proud and Canada Proud, which is heavily slanted to the far right. I've learned that any news source with the word "Proud" is nothing but far right propaganda that should be dismissed. I can't understand how an otherwise intelligent and brilliant guy could allow himself to be brainwashed to such a degree. If he keeps it up then I'm gonna have to unfollow him too.