Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My latest creation

That's still pretty damn cool.

Looks nice. How does it ride?

Administrator
    That is still goddamn awesome.

That's brilliant.

Does it wheelie?

Out of curiosity, if you don’t mind me asking, how much money and how many hours did you spend on it? Or you didn’t really keep track because you were too busy having too much fun working on it?

I've put about 20 miles on the bike in its current form. It's a pretty good ride. It does weigh a lot at this point. I have not actually checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was cresting 80lbs at this point. So, riding it is definitely a game of momentum. If you work enough to get it moving, you stay moving. Uphills are a challenge. But on downhills, watch out, you're moving.

I will say that all the weight tends to make it glide pretty well over smooth roads. It's whisper quiet and just cruises. I do enjoy the clattering the ammo can handles make over rough roads though.

I didn't keep track of how much time I've worked on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 80 or 100 hours at this point though. I don't have the best kinds of tools for working with metal, so that slows me down a lot. All the metal cutting I just did with a pneumatic 3" cutoff wheel. I think I have around $1000 into it. I forget if that includes the initial $200 cost of the bike, but I think it does. I could have done it a little cheaper. I've ordered and tried a few different seats and a few different sets of tires before settling on the ones I'm using now. I also found the same headlight I put on the front for a little cheaper after I ordered it. It was $50. I think I found it for $30 or $40. I also didn't NEED to upgrade to larger brake rotors, but they look cool. But I could have saved $45 there. So I probably could have shaved $200 off the cost if I was really pinching pennies.

You probably did quite a bit of welding too? Anyway, thinking of possibly turning this thing into an e-bike?

Someday when I have the time and the money, I want to do what you did!!!

Yeah, I’d like to build me an electric trike!

Just weighed it, 97lbs. Not the lightest bicycle in the world.