Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

12 years left to turn around the sinking ship they say.

1 million species going extinct they say https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48169783

I'm all for doing individual things to try to fix this, but more and more it seems we're too late and that unless we're in power, we can't do much.

I think the biggest problem is there is no big PLAN, saying this is all of the things we need to do right now to fix this, and on a macro level. We see a lot of smaller things happening that may add up to help out eventually, but I don't expect any radical change to happen in most places.

I'm 40 years old....so I'll be getting old by the time whatever disaster is coming for us, but my fiancee wants kids in a few years after we're married and I don't know how to feel about that.

We’re all gonna die anyway. Problem is that we all dont make the same plan or can’t agree on a plan.

No point fearing such death... or fear having kids because climate might get fucked up or asteroid might hit or some terrorists or aliens might attack us or Jesus might return.

Living how you might want to live in a hopeful and meaningful way to you. We definitely should pay attention to these alarming news and formula some sort of plan, but I just don’t believe we have start living in fear.

Also, one of the things I hate about politics is it gives us the illusion of power or lack of it... If UN isn't doing it, hopefully your country can do something. If your stupid country's not doing it, then hopefully your state is doing it. If your stupid state ain't doing it... hopefully your city is... look, as long as you are still breathing, you are in fucking power mode! Just make sure you don't emit too much carbon as you're powering up!

We all can try to come up with plans(and actions), hopefully the smaller scale good plans can eventually catch on and become global. Talk is cheap. Just do something.
    Jobs didn't just come up with a 'plan' for apple computer and expect congress to do something about creating silicon valley. Elon Musk was smart enough to get NASA to subsidize his rockets, but he didn't swindle the govt, but actually built rockets that worked! We not only need plans, but we need actions too!

Problem with activisms with no concrete actions is that we just end up with a lot of fighting with absolutely nothing to show for. If I want to do something, no republicans white supremacists can stop me. As we bitch and whine to ask those too big to fail companies to change their ways, why do you think they'll listen to you? Why would our government officials bought and paid for by them listen to you? Wake up and smell the coffee.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 8th, 2019 at 08:47 AM.

Administrator
    The Paris climate agreement was supposed to be that larger plan at a macro level, but thankfully Trump was able to convince his followers that, because it was called the "Paris" agreement, that it was really just meant to benefit France so of course we should pull out of it.

Maybe we should just ramp up climate change so the old fucks that don't care because they will be dead, get to experience it.

I'm going to die anyway and I don't have any kids. brb, off to buy more racecars kthx.

Come up with a workable climate restoring plan that can not only do good but also make money, people will inevitably follow, and everyone will be better well off.

That's how capitalism works. Talk is cheap. Action is much louder.

I think climate scientists and documentary makers definitely can continue the talk, but remember their talks are based on their actions! As for the rest of us, it's time for all of us to think about how we can help and to actually DO something rather than bitch and whine about it and expect big companies and big governments to fix it for us! Rest assured that they won't easily let you cut off their money supply.

In a way you can't really blame those big evil companies. Think about it... imagine our government comes up with a plan to just have all of us breath less so that we can reduce carbon emission... or perhaps ask some folks to just willingly commit suicide... since they want to die anyway, might as well just go and stop emitting carbon dioxide...

Seriously, cuts and bans just won't work. Asking people to stop buying gas and just drive EVs..., well, do we even have enough cheap EVs available for all who want to switch? No we don't.

Even if we do end up with a very green president, after US has been polluting earth for so long and so much, who are we to ask nations such as China to stop developing now?

Our only way out is to develop/promote workable, money making plans. Introducing solutions rather than asking others to change their ways is the only way forward.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 8th, 2019 at 10:49 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Ok billi, show me a picture of your bar of shampoo.
    acket.

Administrator
    What's the plan if there isn't a money-making one to stop climate change? It's changing whether we find some way to make it compatible with capitalism or not.

For a smoker or alcoholic to quit, something drastic must happen for him/her to wake up and make the change. If such person wants to smoke or drink, nagging at him/her just won't help. We have to help this person find some incentives to make the change, not just to force them to stop cold turkey. If that person wants to stop cold turkey, that's cool. But we can't stop anybody else other than ourselves to stop cold turkey.

If capitalism failed to bring about any significant change that'll help our climate, humanity will of course eventually be faced with something drastic. Then the plan will be to get our asses to Mars. Thank you Elon Musk!

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I'm going to die anyway and I don't have any kids. brb, off to buy more racecars kthx.
    Aaaaand that's the problem. "It's not going to be MY problem, so I DGAF."