Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Just do slaloms around those posts... and make sure you auto-x with EVs please.
    A team die One Lap of America in a Tesla this year.

Junior Potato
    Our federal election is happening tomorrow.

I’ll let you know if the right-wing conservative government retains the leadership or if the left-wing unionists get in.

The conservatives implemented a direct action policy on carbon emissions. Basically, the government pays mining companies and large polluters billions of dollars a year to destroy the environment. Also our contribution to the Paris Accord is to not cut down as many trees. Yes, our carbon emissions have been skyrocketing, but we’re cutting down slightly less trees than before.

The left-wing party promises to cut carbon emissions and increase renewables to 50%, and ensure 50% of passenger cars are EVs by 2030.

I voted for The Greens. They’re pushing for 100% renewables.

How do they intend to 'ensure 50% of passenger cars are EV by 2030'?

There’s an Aussie version of AOC!

Anyway, it is always good to aim high.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Probably through the methods I’ve discussed previously in this thread. Plus others.

Here’s a good start to proceedings, even before the results of the election are known:

https://thedriven.io/2019/05/16/aust...-mou-with-byd/

It would be naive to suggest that they won’t be incentivising their uptake through tax rebates and discounted registration or electricity bills.

Yeah, I saw your plan. Cripple the market through government intervention and trust the same government to allocate the money they take in to help citizens chose to buy more EVs. That's a policy, fine.

'Ensure' is a soft word for a guarantee. I thought you might know of some tangible way they would drastically alter the actual ratio of ICE/EV cars registered in the next 11 years. Everything I can think of to 'ensure' that is fairly authoritarian. From what I can see is that it's more if a wish than a plan.

That's okay. We have a lawmaker here who is popular and has more ideas than experience; she has proposed upgrading every single building in the US in a 10 year period as part of her Green Initiative. Bless her heart.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    With gleaming alloy air cars.

Heh.

I just have a hard time with one issue parties. Their plan is usually to take something from a group; or there is no plan at all. I am not even against EVs but I do bristle at mandates. I routinely drive 885mi in a sitting in my 2002 BMW, spending 5 minutes to fill up each time. A feat completely impossible for an EV now and for the forseeable future. If EVs are a true ICE replacement the market will provide for that organically. I would much rather have an EV for DD duties, so much less care and maintenance.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    With gleaming alloy air cars.
    Never work, those assholes are two lanes wide.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I'm toying with the idea of getting something that would probably get single-digit mileage, or just barely double-digit.