Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Life without plastic is fantastic, albeit very hard.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh, I know, all of his posts are this odd word-association game. I think he might have ADD.

Also, since I know a few of the people here are from the LA area, LADWP has a spot on their website to "Go Green" where you can sign up to pay a little extra for your power (about 3 cents per KwH) to have it be supplied by sources like wind and solar. I figure that's another little bit of the "trying to do your part".
    I probably do have ADD. Other than playing GT, I do find it difficult to focus...

Anyway, focusing on topic, I think DWP should just ask users to donate money that'll specifically be used to add more wind turbines and solar panels. Energy in the grid is energy in the grid, how can you really be sure your additional 3cents is really being put to use? You can't! But if you donated certain amount for that specific purpose, it should be more easily trackable. Best way is probably to just get panels of your own if you can. There should still be government subsidies to make it worth your while, but of course if you live in a condo and association won't let you install unsightly panels, then I suppose that is the best you can do at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Life without plastic is fantastic, albeit very hard.
    We're definitely spoiled by convenient cheap plastics...

This Thai supermarket is doing its part though:
    https://www.worldofbuzz.com/thai-sup...eaf-packaging/

Another alarming thing that's happening along US West coast... more than usual dead whales!!!
    https://crosscut.com/2019/05/why-are...hales-dying-wa

Bunch were found in SF and Washington State. Wonder if it's climate or over fishing of krill or what? Of course some experts are saying perhaps we just have a much healthier population; therefore, higher than usual accidental deaths?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I probably do have ADD. Other than playing GT, I do find it difficult to focus...

Anyway, focusing on topic, I think DWP should just ask users to donate money that'll specifically be used to add more wind turbines and solar panels. Energy in the grid is energy in the grid, how can you really be sure your additional 3cents is really being put to use? You can't! But if you donated certain amount for that specific purpose, it should be more easily trackable. Best way is probably to just get panels of your own if you can. There should still be government subsidies to make it worth your while, but of course if you live in a condo and association won't let you install unsightly panels, then I suppose that is the best you can do at the moment.
    I'm pretty sure you can consider signing up to spend more to fund green energy a donation if you feel like it. I'm agreeing to pay more to help fund that, and I'm sure it's 100% trackable since it'll be part of my itemized bill.

Interesting point about solar. Increasing density/building up is generally better use of land and encourages people to live closer to where they work, which is undoubtedly better for the environment. On the other hand, it means a lot less surface area to put up panels.

Yeah, it's just not practical to put up panels in dense cities, likewise with wind turbines!

But it's okay, we'll just have to install panels in somebody else's backyard or whatever empty desert spaces. There should be less NIMBYism push backs, right? I think if we build a huge patio that covers about 1/4 of state of Arizona, we could generate enough electricity for the entire nation. Arizonians get to enjoy cool shades too...

https://www.freeingenergy.com/how-mu...power-the-u-s/
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 15th, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

Administrator
    I do like one move that I'm seeing more often out here, at least. The local VA hospital/administration grounds has tons of parking lots, so they've started building shades over all of the parking spots that have solar panels on top. Win-win, people get to park in the shade and they're generating power.

Bad for auto-x.

Just do slaloms around those posts... and make sure you auto-x with EVs please.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    As was mentioned in the travel thread, Mexico City is suffering from a bad case of suspended particles in its air. It's a consequence mostly from terrible car ownership and mass-transit policies but there were some contribuiting factors, like forest fires. Yesterday they finally caught a break when rain fell; hell, it was a hail storm in parts of the city. Anyway, city dwellers were expecting to wake up clear skies today but Don Goyo had other plans. There's now a cloud of volcanic ash covering the city.

acket.