Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

Yeah I wouldnt say "whales making comeback - well done" when we pushed them to the brink.

Yes some new species maybe happening, but it would be at a tiny rate. Especially in larger mammals - which we are managing to wipe out.
    And is it a big deal if domesticated animals are on the rise? More chicken, cattle, pigs, dogs, cats than ever in the history of the planet. Thats volume, not diversity.
    Ditto with plants.

And wow - we might double the number of species in the next million years. And lets be honest - in a million years we would have the technology to just gene-make new species. Or have been replaced by AI and maybe no organics.
    We also might greatly reduce it. Again especially at the "large end of town". A hundred new insects probably doesnt really make up for losing primates.

Ahh in the end he does say that counting/estimating new species needs to be studied.
    But I think its a long way from "she'll be right"

Junior Potato
    Once again, DN, you're absolutely on the money. Biodiversity is critical, and in their native habitats.

South American cane toads might be thriving in Australia, but that's at the expense of small native mammals and can cause partial collapse of their ecosystems. It might be one of the greatest pest control mistakes in the world.

Although, one thing that might be of benefit is the rise of biodiversity after this Holocene extinction has played its course. It will be an amazing time for nature to rise up in the gap left by the loss we are creating now. Just gotta wait for humans to drive themselves to extinction first. Give it 100,000 or a million years.

In 10,000 years (a huge amount at the rate of technology) I could easily see us having mostly left Earth and keeping it as a tourist destination/natural park.

Junior Potato
    Yeah it's a nice idea but to do that we'd first have to stop moaning about immigrants and welfare recipients.

Could we do that in the next 10,000 years?

America didn't completely stop immigrants and welfare while shooting for the moon.

Anyway, who cares what we could do in 10k years. We only need to care about doing the right things NOW so that in 10k years, people don't have to deal with the crap we left behind, instead enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Yeah it's a nice idea but to do that we'd first have to stop moaning about immigrants and welfare recipients.

Could we do that in the next 10,000 years?
    I'm excited for galactic transport vouchers for the non-working funded by payroll taxes.

--OR--

No, of course not, that's why we're leaving them here in the first place.

Junior Potato
    Big week in enviro-activism.

You know who's going to die?

Right-wingers, if the blood vessels in their brains don't stop exploding.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Question more to the euros on the board, is Greta some white-nationalist Messianic weirdo?
    I fell for a trope, sorry.
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    ”People are suffering, people are dying, entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.” Watch Greta Thunberg speak at the UN Monday morning.

Last edited by FaultyMario; September 24th, 2019 at 09:13 AM.
    acket.

Administrator
    I'm so torn on this Greta Thunberg thing. On one hand, she appears to be a smart woman who is passionate about the environment and willing to stand up to a lot of powerful people when it comes to that.

On the other hand, she's a Swede. Yech.