Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

Administrator
    I shared an office with a guy who had Asperger's. He exhibited pretty much all of those characteristics - he never made eye contact, had a very hard time knowing when a conversation was over (I had to learn to get over thinking it was rude to literally say to him "Great, thanks for that, and our conversation is done."), and also had that all-absorbing interest in specific topics. Specifically the things he worked on, and the guy was like an encyclopedia. You didn't need Google to find out some esoteric thing about DNS servers, he just knew it.

But yeah, he also wasn't easily swayed or particularly susceptible to people telling him what to do. Brilliant and awkward is pretty much how I'd put it.

Also, I'd say we're far from relying on her. She spoke in front of the people who are still actually in positions of power. That's a long way from actually putting her in a position of power.

I actually don’t mind putting her in position of power... I’m sure she would be able to do an awesome job... no lobbyists will be able to sway her... as long as the subject matters are in her area of interests...

Bernie Sanders probably have the same issue... focused on narrowing the wealth gap since the beginning of his career and is kinda socially awkward...

Anyway, just saying it’s sad that we need to be lectured by a kid. She also tweets way better than most adults!

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    I'm just saying she is being used by the people wanting it in the news as much as possible. Anyone claiming otherwise isn't being completely honest.
    Is she being used, or is she using them?

Used implies she is doing something she doesnt want or not for her benefit.
    So her goals match some of the media and they latch onto her. She is a good role model, as pointed out, she is not a boring old white guy.
    None of that means she is "used".

We all use one another.

Just take any child prodigy/star/athletes..., who’s using who? Hard to say...

However, statistically, most child celebs don’t end up well. That’s why I wouldn’t allow my underage daughter become what Greta has become.

Greta has been admirable and I’m grateful for her activism, and I do hope her parents are also actively looking after Greta’s interests so that she can beat the odds and also have a fulfilling adult life.

Of course I’m assuming we don’t extinct ourselves first!

Junior Potato
    CLICK HERE READ THIS

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-climate-demon

It is a comic strip so the information is passed along very easliy.

I didn't see the cartoon but after empty space The Guardian asked money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Wow, WTF.
    You seem to have a moral issue here.
    My bet is that this time your polaroid shades are special.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I apologize if I don't see a negative side to this.
    Must hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Is she being used, or is she using them?
    I'd say that her parents are using them thru her.
    And that she's most likely happy with it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    You seem to have a moral issue here.
    My bet is that this time your polaroid shades are special.
    Yes, I have a moral issue with someone equating this situation with a cult that lead to the deaths of 918 people. I'm actually a little shocked that you don't.

BTW, if you ever read anything about Jim Jones and his cult, you'd know that they actually *had* been asked and many did not say that they had "very good lives". In fact, enough expressed that they felt trapped and wanted out, which is what lead to Congressman Ryan being there in the first place and his eventual murder as well. So your analogy doesn't even fit while simultaneously being pretty damned offensive.

My bad if I've left amount adjusting words out.

The argument is that you accept more bad when it's our cause.

For to thread issue,
    it seems to be a somewhat an accepted cheat to add climate to your study to get it funded.

Administrator
    That's definitely true, we're always more forgiving if we're happier with the outcome.

My gal talkin' shop. I am always genuinely impressed with her screen presence.

https://video.scetv.org/video/climat...-in-sc-mfbv39/