Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

If only there was a thanos around to save us.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    They can build a reactor in my backyard if I get free energy for life.
    That's certainly one good way to possibly get rid of NIMBYs.

As safe as nuclear power is, just like commercial aviation, couple of accidents will be enough to erode public trust completely. Losing hundreds of lives of passengers just isn't acceptable..., not to mention magnitude of the damage a nuclear disasters can cause. We've all seen it... so perhaps we'll have to wait til a new generation of folks who've never been thru it to want to try nuclear again... and they better be sure accidents wont happen, or else NIMBYs will come back to life again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    If we could get this sorted, as well as cease the blowing up and marginalisation of poor countries, we could be rocketing across the cosmos and exploring the universe together.
    Yes!

And then we could blow up advanced evil aliens together! But to get there, we absolutely must have kids!!!

At the moment, I think poor marginalized folks have more babies than the well off folks. This is also contributing to the wealth gap!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 9th, 2019 at 07:04 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I don't know how to feel about that.
    Problem is, the rational choice is pretty clear, but you know... feelings and all that.
    acket.

Exactly. If we were truly rational beings, just say no to drugs would be enough to solve our drug problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    That's certainly one good way to possibly get rid of NIMBYs.

As safe as nuclear power is, just like commercial aviation, couple of accidents will be enough to erode public trust completely. Losing hundreds of lives of passengers just isn't acceptable..., not to mention magnitude of the damage a nuclear disasters can cause. We've all seen it... so perhaps we'll have to wait til a new generation of folks who've never been thru it to want to try nuclear again... and they better be sure accidents wont happen, or else NIMBYs will come back to life again.
    Except there hasn't been a scenario where hundreds of people have died from a reactor failure. Ever.

It seems to me the only solution to this requires a unified global effort on the scale of how nations fought "total wars" in WWI and WWII - meaning it wasn't just the military fighting the wars, but most of the citizens back on "the home front" participating in the war effort and suffering and sacrificing as necessary.

We need individual, business, and government agreement and action. Just as Detroit stopped making cars and started making guns and tanks and airplanes in WWII, we'll need a huge industrial shift to solar power and wind power and whatever else it takes to stop the pollution and start fixing the environmental damage.

How about a draft or a job opportunity for eligible young men and women to work in programs similar to FDR's Alphabet Agencies? These people could spend a year or two each cleaning up the oceans and rivers, planting trees in the rainforests and everywhere else, and all the other stuff that I'm not knowledgeable enough to list, in exchange for college tuition and/or other benefits once they've served their time.

Huge changes to modern life will be required, such as severely limiting the use of gas and diesel engines in automobiles, airplanes, and eliminating their use entirely for non-essential things like auto racing (sorry, guys), power-boating, lawn-mowing, and so forth. I don't know much about the specifics of industrial pollution, but obviously that must be highly reduced as well.

It will also require some strong enforcement of these new and radical policies by more powerful nations or alliances thereof in places that choose to ignore them, such as in countries where rain forests are being destroyed and species are being wiped out.

There are probably a hundred thousand other things like these that I don't know enough about to mention.

What would humans do if threatened by alien invaders or an approaching asteroid? We need that kind of action, starting today.

Otherwise, we might as well just start partying, à la On The Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Except there hasn't been a scenario where hundreds of people have died from a reactor failure. Ever.
    Yes, they also need to up the prize money to not only give you free electricity, but also give you free land and housing, possible ocean front properties, after reactor melt down accidents.

These hot properties should be good for those folks who don't really want to have any kids anyway.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 9th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.

George, reduction is definitely the right thing to do, just as all addicts know it's not really that good for them to smoke, drink or get high. But...

AOC's green new deal is very much in line with what you're suggesting. I'm kinda on the fence about her ambitious deal even if it's not killed by the republicans.

Personally I'd like to have another space race to Mars. Mission to Mars should also need to further develop renewable tech, so that we can use it on mars colony, and it'll also give humanity a possible escape plan. Plus, there'll probably be less political opposition.