Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

Administrator
    Interesting, and agreed about the cutesy acts. I'm the kind of person who is okay turning over a bunch of biometric data in exchange for the convenience of Global Entry, but I also would prefer not to have to do that in the first place and realize how problematic the idea of "If you're not doing anything wrong, then why would that bother you?" is.

I wonder if they'd find a difference between intranational and international, all the things I found as well were specifically about international travel.

Maybe Americans are just really good at giving up liberty for convenience.

Administrator
    Fair - but *man* is it convenient.

Who wouldn't sacrifice liberty for a false sense of convenience and security? Maybe Roofer.

But anyway, you guys are going off topics into the political realm. Mother nature couldn't care less where in the political spectrum you stand, carbon is carbon. Not to mention all the other toxic crap we've all generated.

What kind of restrictions are you going to restrict yourself with? I hope it is now becoming clearer that restricting others approach is kinda hard to implement.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 13th, 2019 at 01:00 PM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    so, we need to get rid of lots of cows I think, meaning not having them on farms for dairy, beef, etc.

I want to do my part.

I can easily eat vegan "impossible" burgers and drink soy milk......then I realized I'd have to give up cheese.............

Administrator
    I definitely eat too much meat, but I can't hang with Impossible burgers and the like. Every time I have one of those, it's always "that's quite good for a vegan burger, but I can still tell it's a vegan burger."

I'd be curious to find out how I stack up against the average American when it comes to making this whole situation worse. I don't fly a lot, I rarely drive/use Uber or Lyft, most of my public transportation is done on electric trains, and I try to be pretty good about recycling. I use the same couple re-usable bags when shopping until they break. I grab actual plates at work when grabbing food as opposed to the disposable paper plates that are set up next to the food. I also eat too much meat, have about 18 million electronic devices that are all drawing at least some amount of power all the time, and really like long showers.

I mostly wonder if I've "done my part", so to speak.

The beef emissions thing is another area that we could easily take a big bite out of, but again personal liberties and free market capitalism get in the way. People like beef, farmers produce the beef, and so the cycle goes. And because beef also employs millions of people worldwide, they will always have an argument for keeping production going because of jobs. Not to mention the propaganda the industry puts forth.

I absolutely love beef, but it's very, very obvious that we could feed at least FIRST world countries with way way less of it. Not to mention the science is still inconclusive as to whether a majority-beef diet is safe. I choose to eat beef once or twice a week at most, the rest chicken and fish, for that reason. As much as I love it, I could totally see myself cutting it out entirely.

But you're not just fighting industry, you're fighting hundreds of thousands of people who feel it is their RIGHT to consume something, regardless of its harm.

I would also be interested in the statistics in terms of populations that kinda "NEED" beef, or rely on it as their major source of protein because they don't HAVE access to any others. But I'm struggling to think of a society off the top of my head. Places like Argentina are very big on beef, but they're prosperous enough that they could switch to other protein sources. As opposed to, say, Inuit, who have to rely on seals/whales/polar bear/occasional caribou where they live.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    [Eurocentric liberalism] gets in the way.
    Yup.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Hydrogen is probably the most 'renewable', right? We already have hydrogen rockets to hydrogen cars... hydrogen will probably impact the environment way less than lithium-ion battery packs too. As these vehicles go, they'll only pollute the world with water... and when we create these hydrogen fuels from water..., we'll also end up creating more oxygen as well...

So ideally, I think we need a nuclear reactor in geo synchronous orbit so that it can suck up water from the ocean thru a very long straw and then send back hydrogen and oxygen back to earth for us to use and breath... If something goes wrong with the reactor, we can just move it into deep space or toward the sun and replace it with another one. Likewise with its nuclear wastes.
    Firstly - where does the energy come from to split water? If that from fossil fuel then its not a great solution.
    Hydrogen from water is more of a "battery" in that it takes more energy than you get back, so its not a fuel, just a convenient way to store energy.
    Currently most hydrogen comes from hydrocarbons (ie fossil fuels!)

As for reactor in geostationary orbit... you do know how far up that is?? It would be a lot more energy to pull the water up than you would need to split it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I mostly wonder if I've "done my part", so to speak.
    I'm pretty sure we average americans have not. No matter how we conserve with riding bikes, driving EVs, not eating meat... one vacation flying to another country, we'd probably polluted more carbon than somebody in a less developed country for his whole life time... but of course, we should still try to do our part.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 13th, 2019 at 10:02 PM.