Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna die (The climate change thread)

Junior Potato
    Nope, sorry to say, Americans have not done their part.

The USA sits 2nd to China in terms of overall CO2 emissions, but totally eats China with per capita emissions, with 15.5 vs 6.5 metric tonnes.

Here's a lovely graph.

Per capita emissions are up there with Australia, Canada and Saudi Arabia, but those three countries each account for 1% or 2% overall emissions.

That's not to say that the countries on 2% don't need to look at their carbon emissions. If you add them all up they account for over 20% of global CO2 emissions, which is more than USA and Russia combined.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Yeah, rather than trying to collectively breath less to reduce carbon, better way would be to increase carbon absorbing plants to help us out! Phytoplanktons on sea surfaces as well! But there are news of declining phytoplankton population due to climate change, so I wonder if our climate has changed sufficiently that the baby trees we planted might not survive too? Also, even if our planted trees grew abundantly, we now have to be careful of crazy wild fires... so there needs to be quite a bit of planning on public lands. This is something government can do. Individually, we can just plant as many things as we can on our property and try not to chop down existing trees... Anyway, this is probably the path of least resistance regarding this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Yeah, rather than trying to collectively breath less to reduce carbon, better way would be to increase carbon absorbing plants to help us out! Phytoplanktons on sea surfaces as well! But there are news of declining phytoplankton population due to climate change, so I wonder if our climate has changed sufficiently that the baby trees we planted might not survive too? Also, even if our planted trees grew abundantly, we now have to be careful of crazy wild fires... so there needs to be quite a bit of planning on public lands. This is something government can do. Individually, we can just plant as many things as we can on our property and try not to chop down existing trees... Anyway, this is probably the path of least resistance regarding this issue.
    Newsflash: wildfires are supposed to happen, it's part of the cycle of forests. We've just been screwing it up in one way or another as humans

How can we possibly screw it up if it suppose to happen, huh?

Every time it happens, we can just say, no worries, it's suppose to happen?

Anyway, I hope you understand my concern? I also do know wild fires can be naturally occurring. I have no problems with government working with climate scientists taking over forest management tasks. Where, what, how to plant and where, when, how to have control burns to minimize carbon and maximize oxygen.

Better that than governments choking us so that we can all emit less carbon.

It's called the Smokey Bear effect:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12492/smokey-bear-effect

Junior Potato
    Billi I swear every one of your posts is a fucking word salad.

Yes, salad is better than ape meat.

Administrator
    Oh, I know, all of his posts are this odd word-association game. I think he might have ADD.

Also, since I know a few of the people here are from the LA area, LADWP has a spot on their website to "Go Green" where you can sign up to pay a little extra for your power (about 3 cents per KwH) to have it be supplied by sources like wind and solar. I figure that's another little bit of the "trying to do your part".
    Last edited by Tom Servo; May 14th, 2019 at 08:29 PM.

Junior Potato
    That’s probably the best way to individually do your part.

Speaking of which, I need to look into it myself.

Any more requires governmental action.