Agreed, please don't be "one of those people" who get a dog just to satisfy their child, and end up giving that dog a terrible life, and then just foisting it upon someone else later down the road.

Give it 100% or don't give it at all. Once a dog is housebroken, it can be left alone for long periods and generally do okay--but depending on the breed, it may need a LOT of exercise and excitement.

But during the first 6-12 months, it's CRUCIAL that it has almost constant contact with at least one of its owners, to be house-broken, food trained, and walked and disciplined as necessary. Otherwise the dog'll end up either running your life forever, or you'll end up being that dick that just leaves it in a cage its whole life. I was lucky enough to get Charlie when I was night shift and Tara was day shift, so we could cover him the entire time we were house training him. After that, no need to crate him during the day, boom, he's basically a cat that needs a walk now and then.

Having said that, if you choose to do so, there are breeds, like him, that can make things a little easier. They are usually dogs that insecure, overly-masculine males make fun of and say are not "real dogs." My shih-tzu is a perfect example, and other than some difficulties with consistent potty training in the first 6 months, he has been absolutely devoted, loving, and well-behaved. And also super chilled out. And you can just cut their damn hair short if you don't like the foo-foo dog show-looking hairstyle.

In my experience the big badass scary dogs that most men like to own need the most care and discipline--and they never get it, which is why we have all the problems we do in this society.