Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a dog

Only time I've had a cat not use the litter box was when it had a severe kidney infection and was pissing all over the house because wherever it pissed it was in so much pain it associated that spot with the pain and wouldn't piss there again.

If your wife and kids really want a dog, would they be willing to divvy up the necessary responsibilities among themselves? That way they get what they want and you get the 'low maintenance' (from your side) pet experience. It'd still be a good idea for you to bond with it, though. And they'd better commit.

I don't speak from experience, but I imagine it can be a good way to teach kids about the responsibilities of caring for another living thing. If they're motivated. Also if your daughter goes off to college in 6 years that's one less person to take care of it.

<- Grew up with dogs, never had one myself since I moved out. I travel too much and I get the dog experience anytime I visit my parents.

sounds like you should avoid Dobermans and working lines dog at all costs

Great Danes are awesome big dogs. Short life expectancy though. Very low maintenance IMO.

Also, Golden's are phenomenal dogs. First 2-3 years are pretty active, then they become pretty much worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Just an update. Summer is half over and no dog yet. I’m hesitant and laying off. I’m still in the same mindset of I want one, but don’t want the responsibility. So no dog.

Trying to push for a lower maintenance pet like a cat or hamster. Being shot down on that idea all the time.

So it remains a stalemate.
    Wives can be high maintenance too! And if you don’t spay them, they end up with little babies and end up causing you more responsibilities!!!

Anyway, you really sure you want one? Maybe you really don’t. If you really want to marry her or adopt a dog, then maybe you shouldn’t be so intimidated by responsibilities!!!

Of course if you know for sure that you just can’t give your wife and kids decent living because you don’t have a job or with zero prospects for any jobs then perhaps you shouldn’t marry the girl and make her and your children suffer... otherwise, if you want her... just fucking marry her. Likewise, if you really want that dog, just do it already!

Or just make up your mind and convince yourself that you don’t need a dog and be done.

I can’t make up my mind! That’s the problem. I like dogs. I like the idea of having a dog. But I like them more from afar. When I can hang around and play with them, but not be responsible for them afterwards.

Make it up... and propose to a puppy at a local shelter or just dump the idea of having a dog. No need to be in a stalemate. Not playing chess here.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    I can’t make up my mind! That’s the problem. I like dogs. I like the idea of having a dog. But I like them more from afar. When I can hang around and play with them, but not be responsible for them afterwards.
    Your mind is made. You don't want one, you'll tolerate one in small increments. This dog will be at your house every time you are there.

Trudeau Trudeau.

My neighbour (who is a bit odd) works at a dog daycare sort of a place (or maybe a boarding kennel, I'm not sure), was also looking after somebody's dog at her house (which she often does).

The dog is a pitbull bitsa pieces sort of a deal, and he's super nice.

But he has learned how to open her doors using the pull down doorhandles, so she has had to remove doorhandles ... then he has clawed hell out of a door while she has been out. She doesn't own the house, her aunt does ... ooopsie. She had steam coming out her ears last time I chatted with her.

Finally got a dog. A two month old Yorkshire Terrier pup. We named him Bruno.

I know almost everyone was urging me to adopt a dog from a shelter, and we discussed it at length. Ultimately we decided on a breeder for our first dog. It felt more natural and don't really have any regrets. If we ever decide on a second dog then for sure it will be a rescue dog.

Bruno is great so far. We've had him for a week and he's noticeably grown a couple of inches. He's not going to grow too large, which is perfect for us as we live in a small 1,500 sqft house. He'll probably grow to be the size of a shoebox. Toilet training is proving to be a challenge, but we (I in particular) are trying to be patient. It's a process that you have to go through. We love him.

I've mentioned my brother-in-law has a Pug named DJ, who is a few years old now. Bruno and DJ met for the first time this weekend, and their interaction was quite interesting. DJ was bouncing off the walls with excitement. They spent most of their time just sniffing one another, but otherwise getting along great. Bruno did scowl at him a couple of times when he was violating his personal space, and DJ would retreat into a defensive posture. It was hilarious to watch. The two will grow to become great friends in the future, I'm sure. We hope they'll bond like brothers.