Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a dog

I know a couple with two dogs, one of which is a malmute. They are high-energy and need a lot of exercise and attention. I can make a pretty good guess this couple leave the dogs at home all day while working. The malmute has destroyed several sofas, among other things. Malmutes cannot be left alone for extended periods. They get bored very easily and start looking for things to do, mainly destroy stuff. Like neanderthal said, consider the breed before getting a dog. This is where the shelter attendants can help you find a dog with a chill personality.

Indeed. So, so important not to base your decision on "this dog looks cool." Energy level, especially, is super important.

Junior Potato
    I’ve got a couple of friends who own two dogs. They made a decision before they got married to never have kids, so they got two pups from the pound instead!

They both earned a decent amount of money in their careers, so at the moment they’ve quit their jobs and are spending a couple of years travelling by caravan around Australia, and of course they took the dogs with them. All four of them are absolutely loving it.

Got to meet Levi last weekend. Levi is cool.

I can't remember if Apollo was scared of you or not. He was terrified of Bill when they met.

I don't think so. But I am sure Apollo was older and wiser by the time I showed up.

Just an update. Summer is half over and no dog yet. I’m hesitant and laying off. I’m still in the same mindset of I want one, but don’t want the responsibility. So no dog.

Trying to push for a lower maintenance pet like a cat or hamster. Being shot down on that idea all the time.

So it remains a stalemate.

Junior Potato
    Cats are still med-high maintenance. Not high-high like a dog, but worth consideration of how high it might be.

I’ve got two of them - they’re not outside cats. Sometimes they have diarrhoea and shit all over the house. It’s rare, but it’s times like that where I wish I had a dog that would just go outside.

Maybe look for a dog breed that’s no bigger then a shoe. Get a tiny dog. One that you could literally let out into the yard for half an hour and be satisfied that it’s been exercised. If it can fit into a microwave oven then it might be the right dog for you.

The problem with small dogs is that because they are so small, they are coddled like babies. That makes them even more poorly behaved than a larger dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Cats are still med-high maintenance. Not high-high like a dog, but worth consideration of how high it might be.

I’ve got two of them - they’re not outside cats. Sometimes they have diarrhoea and shit all over the house. It’s rare, but it’s times like that where I wish I had a dog that would just go outside.

Maybe look for a dog breed that’s no bigger then a shoe. Get a tiny dog. One that you could literally let out into the yard for half an hour and be satisfied that it’s been exercised. If it can fit into a microwave oven then it might be the right dog for you.
    Eh, if a dog has diarrhea, decent chance they crap inside before they make it outside because they can't hold it like when they're not sick. If my dog poops inside, it's generally because he's sick.

Also, activity level isn't necessarily dictated by size. A Jack Russell will want to run around a lot more than a Great Dane. Generally, working dogs (including ratting dogs like mini-schnauzers) will need more exercise than companion dogs like my Shih-Tzu/Maltese mix.